Question for tree experts

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brucec32, Sep 3, 2006.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have an oak tree, not sure what variety, it has acorns on it. It is a rather large specimen that has brown dead leaves from about 1/2 up on the tree, yet the leaves(many fewer of course) are still green on the lower half. It has been a very dry and hot summer but has rained enough in the last 30 days and I first noticed the problem today. The tree is located at the margin of the woods, and the home is 2 years old. The builder cut a bank in within the root zone of the tree, and I would guess 25% of the root zone was affected. The crest of the cut bank is about 15' from the trunk of the tree. The tree is in Georgia. There have been no herbicide apps near the tree but I did cut away some suckers earlier this year from the tree.

I have had 4 other trees die. Two were at the margin of the house/lawn area, and again could have been damaged by the construction process. But two others are fairly far into the woodsy area (2 acre lot) and are also dead.

Is the tree going to die or can it recover if damaged this far? Is there a common disease or insect pest of oaks in this area I need to look for?

Thanks

2. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

3. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

How close to the tree was the work done by the builder? Are we talking the drip line or the base or other?

It may have heart rot decay as well that is not quite visible to you from the outside yet. Is there any bracket fungus evident on the outside?

4. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

i guess you're outta range from oakwilt, but when half the leaf is green, and the other is brown, it could be something of that sort

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your tree has suffered root damage so severe it will not survive. Too bad and is really preventable by the builder if they just take the time to protect the tree's that they can when grading for the house. 15" from the base of the tree means that there was enough root loss to compromise the tree's health big time. Nothing can be done about it now.

6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Like everyone has said its root damage. Have the tree taken down. (Dad did trees for 20yr.s)

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you might try the Homeowner Helper forum of Arborist Site.

I was curious if there was no herbicide appllications, or, if that means you know of none recently.

Was there any fill soil added at any time?

Plowing near the roots?