1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for vets

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by The landscaper, Aug 9, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious to see what you guys think about so many people coming into the business. Has it always been so crouded or has it just been crazy as of late. What do you think will happen over the next bit of time.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Seen 'em come, and seen 'em go. Over 20 years in the business, and in my experience, it is only a select few that make it. Some take 1 year, some take 4, some take 7......very few actually make it.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Runner is correct. Best part about all the newbies is a lot fold once it gets real hot here. They have visions of becoming millionaires quick and then find out its real hot and dirty work. I can possibly pick up some barely used equipment pretty cheap.
  4. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

I always keep an eye out for equipment on-the-cheap but usually it's cheap stuff to begin with.

Runner......I think any business that has lasted 4 years or 7 has made it.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, I meant some take 4 years to go out of business, and some take 7 to go out... :waving:
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think its like this almost every year new guys start up then just fold up either when it get hot out or they realize its not for them.I had two people stop me last week while working and ask me if I was looking for any used equipment.The one guy I met last year while working he bought a Great Dane Super Surfer and cut 20 lawns a week now he's selling it.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to mention it sure hasn't made me rich, not even slowly. It IS hard work, ALL the comedians are out in the spring when business is booming and the temps are cool - But they are right - Those comedians are GONE in the heat of summer thou some make a comeback in september, it is funny to watch them disappear again once leaves fall.

A LOT of them around here last a year or two, those who last longer never make it past the part-time stage (i.e.: they have a real job / draw a paycheck someplace else) but once someone is in the business FULL time for more than 2 or 3 years, they start to gain my respect, that's a long time to survive even IF they have a large nest egg.
  8. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

we're seeing a lot more people around our area starting lawn services and I don't see it changing until things improve in the job picture. I like my business and it's something I plan on staying in regardless but I'm sure most of these guys would prefer a much easier way of making a living. We had a major ag factory shut down and take a lot of jobs with it so those folks are going to be hurting when the unemployment runs out this fall.
  9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i can't wait to see all the equipment for sale this winter. this is the 3 drought we've had in northeast ohio in the past 5 years. my neighbor who lives across the street started a business this year new hustler super z, new trailer, ect. asked me if i wanted to buy him out after fall. worst thing about it is half the mowing contracts are people i referred to him.
  10. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

hoss is exactly right every year this time we start getting phone calls, people wanting us to "take their accounts" you see it in the paper the classifieds get longer and longer with newer and newer equipment so many guys go out in april finance alot of equipment with the idea of having it paid for by august onlly to find out it aint that easy. They didnt save as they should have and now wont be able to tote the note all winter. When it gets hot you stop seeing a thousand trucks and trailers a day. it dwindles down to the same ole people year after year. its pretty funny i think my wife and i get a kick out of it all the time.