Question for Walker 26 Kohler owners!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rjones14, Jun 7, 2008.

1. rjones14

rjones14 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

My 2001 Walker GHS with a 26 Kohler has just over 1000hrs. Early last week after a an hour or so of mowing it began to sputter like it was starving for gas. I shut it off, checked everything, let it sit for a while and 15minutes later it cranked right up; long enough for me to get it to the trailer. I took it home and did a thorough check including cleaning the air filter. The next day it did the same thing, ran for and hour and quit. I took it to the shop told them the symptoms and they replaced the air filter and sparkplugs. Got it back late yesterday afternoon ran it this morning and same thing again. From the beginning I thought it was the fuel filter but they did not think so. Has anyone been through this? I bought a filter but after reading my manual it says that a walker dealer or kohler mechanic needs to replace it due to the pressure on the system. I need it fixed yesterday, help!!!

2. 6203zz

6203zz LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Check your vent hole in the gas cap or you may have a fuel filter clogged up. Had the same thing on a 24HP Kohler and the vent in the cap was plugged with dirt. Cleaned it out and never had another problem. When you let it set for awhile you relieve the vacuum in the tank.

3. iamthelawnman

iamthelawnman LawnSite Member

it sounds like its the fuel.filt. and yes let your dealer handel it

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Sometimes a coil or the electronic ignition will do this before it totally craps out.

5. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I had that problem with my JD 21".

6. rjones14

rjones14 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks for the help. I checked the gas cap first and it was completley stopped up. I cleaned it out and am hoping that this will be a quick fix. I will keep you posted.

7. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

Apparently, the way they did it on our engine, was that there was a groove in the gas cap gasket. After several years, the gasket flattened out and the groove sealed itself up.

8. flinn101

flinn101 LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Mine did the same thing and it was the fuel pump. If yours is EFI...it will have a code. Call a good dealer with the code.

9. pconley

pconley LawnSite Member
    from ME

Fuel Filter change is scheduled @ 1000 hrs. so you should get that changed while your at it.

10. rjones14

rjones14 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I took it to the shop Tuesday AM of last week; Wed at noon and $500 later I was back mowing again. They replaced the fuel pump, in-line filter, filter in gas tank and line in gas tank. Easy fixes but I was worried about working on it myself due to the manual saying only let Kohler mechanics work on the EFI models. Is this something ya'll stick by or do you do the work yourself.