Question for Wriken or MDTMAN

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snort, Oct 20, 2004.

1. snort

snort LawnSite Member
    from nc

I have a Cub Cadet M60 tank that is comming up on the 50 hour mark. Book says to change hydro fluid at 50 hours and to use 20w-50 oil..Sticker on oil tank on machine also says"use only 20w-50 oil"..I am wanting to use synthetic fluid but see that Mobil One only makes a 15w-50 grade oil...question is can I use the Mobil One 15w-50 or should I stick with a 20w-50. I see that castrol makes a 20w-50 syntec. what do you professionals recomend.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I don't know for sure but I would say to use the regular 20w-50 oil like the book says.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

at 50 hours I switch all mine over to 15-50 mobile 1, I have'nt had a problem yet. I use wix filters and change them at 250 hours and top off with fresh mobile 1.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You know, it's funny how different MFG's have such extreme different service recommendations for basically the same systems. I have one that likewise recommends "use only 20w50 motor oil"...."change oil and filter every 500 hours"

No break-in/50 hr change....
  6. snort

snort LawnSite Member
    from nc

Thanks for the replies.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I had a conversation with my Dixie Chopper dealer about this the other day. It seems that Dixie Chopper originally used Schaffers oil, then custom blended VTC oil and now Lucas oil. All in the same exact hydro systems!

I asked him if it was okay to use Mobil 1 in the system and he said I could use just about anything I wanted to in the hydro system (including vegetable oil) and it would be fine as long as the oil doesn't burn.
  8. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

Amsoil makes a 20w-50 synthetic oil, don't know why that would cause any problems but I'd get a second opinion. I am an amsoil dealer basically so I can buy the stuff for a good price, and everything I've put it in, I've been pretty happy. Hope this helps!
    Aaron :rolleyes:
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I finally got an amsoil dealer here... my local Napa. Anyways, I thought I would try their 2 cycle oil, and so far I've been pretty pleased. I would like to ask you though, does amsoil's 2 cycle stuff have the stabilizer in it like the Opti 2 I was running?

Personally, I've been considering going ahead with a break in change of hydro fluid on this new mower. I thought about the amsoil 20w50 because my hydros tend to piss and moan a bit. But I do not have the benefit of the dealer discount and this puppy holds 2 gallons!

Anyways, I think what we need here is a real good authority on hydro systems... a tech who knows them inside out.
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the scag tiger cub that uses 20w-50 motor oil in the hydro system also. I am/ was confused as snort is also. My dealer told me that mobil 1 is fine to use, well i stop in the local auto parts store and look for 20w-50 synthetic only to find 15-50. I am not in to the synthetic ratings and dont know how they compare. Instead of asking I came home and went to the web site to see and I am no smarter now than i was, lol. So guys is 15-50 mobil 1 synthetic the equal of 20-50 regular oil??????