1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for ya.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, May 29, 2008.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I live in a small town area, there fore to have enough business I actually work in 2 different towns. In on town about 6 miles down the road all my customers are on biweekly and it works out great. Heres the problem and question. One of those customers now wants on a weekly basis which means that every other week he would be the only one in that town being serviced.
    Its $40 each mow ( biweekly) account. would you move only one account to a weekly basis? ( atleast untill I can talk others into it.) and if so, what would you now charge for weekly mowing. I've never encountered this before.
    p.s he is a second year, very good customer. I don't want to loose him.
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

6 miles isn't that far at all, keep him and convince your other clients to go weekly as well...them them their yard will look mush nicer/neater with weekly mowing.
  3. Sweet Tater

but.... going from $40 every other week, to a weekly mow, what should I now charge?
    I am thinking $30 every week vs $40 biweekly.
  4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya...25 to 30 range i was thinking also
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

What size is the account? How long does it take biweekly? How much time do you think it will take weekly?
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that's going to work, never mind the price but we're fixing to hit some high temperatures here in a few more days, a week or two at the most... Once that thermometer pegs up in the 80's and up towards 90 there ain't a lawn can withstand the stress of a weekly service... I mean it will look all right for all of a cut or two but you will see yellow areas right away and then whole big patches and it gets worse...

So the first thing I would do is advise the customer that in terms of stress the heat and the oncoming summer is too much for weekly cut tolerance levels, but that in fall or definitely next spring... Like when it's cooler and the grass is really growing, yes definitely weekly.

And you keep that up and others should (or might) follow suit.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If it were me, I'd say $35. You're still doing everything you've been doing every other week but now twice as much. But really it's your call. Just don't cheat yourself. :)
  8. Sweet Tater

some very good points, Thanks alot guys.
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with topsites !!
  10. Sweet Tater

Its just 3/8 acre and takes about 25-30 min but is a very easy lawn, no flower beds and only 3 very nicely spaced trees.

Life Tree you aren't that far from here (4 hours) so you get the same weather. means alot to hear that thought seconded.