Question For ya

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Shane Nelson, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson LawnSite Member

Can someone please tell me,on my western plow w/steel edge
    there is a very very small gap between the end of my edge and the pavement when plow is down.it allows daylight to come through.im thinking this is not allowing me to clean my drives as good as it could be done.Is there a way to bring this flush or maybe I need new edge?Can someone please help me out w/this?THANKS
    SHANE

2. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

The rounded corners of the edge's bottom come as the plow edge wears in from new. Anytime the plow changes plane on a surface, the edges carry the weight of the blade -- they wear faster as a result.

Unless it bothers you, there is no need to change edges until the cutting edge wears to the point that the bottom edge (always at the corner) is almost flush with the structural mouldboard. Wear it longer, and you are wearing away the plow itself.

Hope this helps.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it is very common. Especially from running along curblines, where the pavement is typically a little higher than the rest of the paved surface.

Some guys refer to it as the cutting edge "smiling".

~Chuck

4. Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson LawnSite Member

THANKS MEN

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

try flipping the edge end for end, that lets it wear more evenly