Question For Y'all That Buy Iron In 55 gal Drums...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Dreams, May 10, 2005.

1. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I am debating on how to draw my product out. I am caught between a drum rack and a valve or a pump and leave it upright. I am wondering if I should worry much about what settles at the bottom.

Some wisdom and even insults will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Here is waht i do -- I use a small self priming pump to transfer to my tank. Before putting in my tank I put both hoses into the opening at the top of the tank and let it agitate -- I also usually give a few really good shakes.

3. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Lonnie, can you post a link to where I can see a pump like yours?

4. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Green, I'd agree with Lonnie, agitation is critical with most iron mixes. Putting a tank horizontal does not take away the fact that there still is a bottom to your tank, it's now just in a different spot. Yes, now it is inline with your opening and gravity should bring out the settled heavier particles. However, this does not give you a consistant mix each time you draw. Only agitating it first each time will accomplish that. You also need to factor in floor space that horizontal tanks consume and handling a 500 lb plus tank safely. Even if you just use a manual pump, you can remove the second bung and drop your output hose in the drum and pump for a minute or two and still keep in solution fairly well. I believe this to be helpful in weed control as well, although W/C doesn't tend to leave the same amounts of material behind under normal circumstances. You run your pump to thoroughly agitate out of your sprayer after it sits, right? I'd say the raws should be managed the same way.