Question for you dump bed owners????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gilla Gorilla, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Ok Im starting to look for a new truck before fall gets here. I have been thinking about getting a F250 or F350 with a power stroke. The only problem that I have is that I just started thinking about a F450 with a dump steak body.

I was on a renovation / install yesterday and today and had about 3,000 pounds worth of stone, dirt and other debris that I took off the job site and wheeled into the trailer. I am getting tired of handling debris twice though. It wears both myself and my helper out twice as much, it also sucks when we are at the dump busting our butts for the second time with this crap and another company backs up beside us and just hits the button and he is in and out in less then two minutes.

My main question is how do you guys with dump beds get the debris up into it with out a Bobcat or something like it? Would I be better off just getting a F350 with a 8ft bed and then buying a dump trailer.

I was also thinking that it would be better to have the F450 for snow removal since having the extra weight of the spreader in the back would not be as hard on a dually versus a single rear wheel F350.

Thanks for any suggestions or advise.

2. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

I've used ramps and lift gates with the material in wheel barrows to get the material into the truck.

3. bbhlawn

bbhlawn LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 F350 with a monroe dump body. The sides fold down so it isn't to hard to get stuff into the back. The other advantage is that the boards I use for the sides come out and make perfect ramps for wheelbarrows. I pondered the same question as you last season, but this season we decided that we had to get a dump truck and I'm glad we did.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Build yourself a nice sturdy ramp. GLS showed a pic of his ramp he uses with his dump insert.

It's just a long plank with brace boards running underneath.

I'd say the wider the better. Like a 12" wide plank.

Yeah, it'll be heavy to move around, but how often are you going to have to move it really?

The sturdiness and security will make up for the weight issue.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd never use a dump in the truck bed if I can use a dump trailer. A lot of time gets lost in loading, whether by hand or machine, as the bed is raised higher.

Dump trailers are high enough. I believe the best is a longer wider trailer with shorter sides.

6. Gilla Gorilla

Thanks for the responses. I was talking with the wife tonight and I am leaning towards getting a F350 crew cab power stroke with an 8 ft bed and then taking the money that I will save by not getting the dump bed and buying a dump trailer.

Just out of couriosity, how much are you guys paying for dump trailers? What size are they? and are they 10,000 gvw or higher?

Thanks again.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember, a one ton dump truck will get places that a truck and trailer won't.

8. Gilla Gorilla

Yeah thats one of the two things that keep me thinking about a dump bed.

How long of a ramp do you guys build to get a wheel barrow up into the bed of the dumps???

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

The accessibility problem is rarely an issue for us. 95% of our material is either dumped by a supplier, or, goes to yards that we wouldn't drive a truck or trailer into.

If you pick a 4 WD truck, they turn sharper, and it's amazing just how well a trailer can be maneuvered in many cases.

A dump trailer can also be left for employees to dump what they need, while the truck can go do other stuff. Several times, we have not wanted to drop a whole load, but dribble what we need, and take the rest elsewhere.

A trailer can haul a few tons over the axles, whereas a a 350 model truck is limited to about 1 ton - better not have an employee going over 1 ton with a 350 else it's a safety violation.

And on a 350 model, a good chunk of the 1 ton payload is used up by the weight of the dump bed.

10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Another consideration (at least here in IN, we covered this in another thread a while back), if you go with a F450, you will not be able to pull a trailer any heavier than 10k without a CDL. Last time I checked the sticker on a 450, it was over 14k GVWR, which puts you into CDL range with a bigger trailer. At that rate, you might as well go with a 550, and get even more capacity.

Yet another consideration: How good are you and/or your employees at backing up a trailer? I consider myself pretty good at it, I've been doing it since I was 12.... But there are still several tight spots that we go to, where I would hate to have a dump trailer since they tend to be shorter trailers. The shorter the trailer, the harder it is to back up..... The shorter the WB on the truck, the easier it is to back up a trailer.... Keep that in mind as well.

Short and sweet, you will have to determine what will work best for you. Lift gates can be a wonderfull thing. If you go that route, get the lift gate mounted on the side of the bed....

Dan