1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for you Florida/year round guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sym, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

It continues to be warm down here ....still around 90 through all of next week....I usually go from weekly to bi-weekly the first full week of November.... should I bite it and keep mowing weekly if the warmth persists or go to the bi-weekly as planned. All customers know I go bi-weekly November thru March.....comments?
  2. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same situation, I think I'm just going to go bi-weekly even though its still growing although talking to the customers beforehand might be a good idea to. I wouldn't just bite it though, losing to much mula
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If it's still growing, why stop now? I guess it's easy for me to say that though since our season ends in October.
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if it grows, cut it. did you start a business to make money or watch it grow away. they hired you to make their lawns look good and because they dont want to cut it.
  5. jahbp

jahbp LawnSite Member

The weather is cooling off and the lawns will be slowing down now .The dry cool weather is hear, if they pay you buy the cut cut as much as you can I charge monthly so I will be going every 2 weeks in November .
  6. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

What did you state to you customers as there # of cut where going to be?? (in there contract?)

Don't stop unless it doesn't need it, if it grows,, CUT IT!! AND CHARGE FOR IT!!! and if there not going to pay then one of two things have happened here,

1, There not where your time and your better off.

2, You made a mistake telling them your going to stop cutting from November to march, you should have stated,, In the winter we will cut back as needed, But will continue to show up and perform other duties. Also we are estimating that the # of cut that will be performed will be between 48-and-53. I,E, you get payed thew the winter and perform 1/2, 3/4 of the work load you had in the summer.
  7. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

should have been a little more clearer....sorry bout that...

all my customers pay by the month for year round service.....weekly Apr1-Nov1 and bi-weekly Nov1-Mar 30 and this is stated during the estimate and is in the agreement...

I think I'll call them.....just don't feel like calling 100 people:hammerhead:
  8. davemanou812

davemanou812 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Cool and dry is here they WILL GO 2 weeks. last week of October is the first off week for me. In 15 years it has never been a problem. My only exceptions are the few subdivision entranceways I have that are on 44 cut per year schedules
  9. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Here in Florida, if it's still growin, you're still mowin...period.

Now, when it slows down, then they go to every other week or after a frost, I just go checkup on it, blow the driveways and walkways off and edge if need by. It takes all of about 5 minutes.

Last year, I was mowing in January due to the extended growing season. That's the breaks.

Put it this way, if you let the grass get overgrown, someone else will mow it for you (the other guy, your competition).

However, the perks are, you CAN make money year round here. If you want to work 52 weeks a year, you can make good money. IF you want to work 42 weeks a year, you can still make good money.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It will slow down enough in the next couple weeks. When is everyone going every other, the week of oct 29 or nov 5? Im going for oct 29 myself, have had enough of people for one year and need to slow down.

It wont be a problem here (pinellas) and it seems we dont get down as "cold" as you others get, so dont worry about it. Why work for free anyway?