question for you Ford people

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by hnter, Dec 16, 2002.

1. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

my 95 f-150 has lost its speedometer, cabin lights, headlight/iginition warning buzzer and over-drive selector (the indicator in the shifter is blinking, over-drive is stuck on)...the truck was used extensively in very wet weather prior to this, so i'm thinking a relay or something electrical but aside from the fuse panel (which is ok) i don't know where to start...any thoughts would be appreciated...

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not much of a mechanic but can tell you when messing with electrical you will pull your hair out like never before. My 94 F150 had a back short some where and I couldn't find it. After doing some front end damage to it I decided that the time had come to up grade. I got into a 2000 F 250 PS. I love it.

You might call a shop that specializes in electrical, describe the problem to them and see if they have any pointers.

Good luck, with electrical I know you will need it.

3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you check the fuse box under the hood as well? I know a guy who blew an underhood fuse in an f150 and it affected the way it shifted. The blinking indicator on the shift lever is the equivilent to the check engine light for your transmission. If you can't find a blown fuse it might be time for a trip to the shop. (bring your wallet):eek: :dizzy:

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I know that I blew and in line fuse once, Whatever that means. I was told they are rare. I don't think that is your problem. You might want to send it to a shop that really specializes in electrical.

5. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Fuse or a sensor....
    Your remark about something blinking makes me lean towards a sensor.
    My old 99 F-250 had the same thing happen as what you describe.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

My F 250 did that. There are parts in the steering colomn that wear. You may notice some play in your steering wheel, it will swivel up and down, or back and forth. I was pulling on my wheel to get in and out of the truck during plowing time and tore up some bushings in there, the play caused rubbing inside the colomn and damaged some of the wireing, which I belive took out a fuse and gave the same effect you describe. You will have to pull the colomn apart, and buy a kit to replace the worn parts.

At least that is what it sounds like to me.

Jay