Question for you irrigation gurus

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Let it Grow, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not too much into irrigation, but I'm slowly learning so pardon my ignorance.
    One of my lawn care customers asked if I would fix his irrigation problem. The system has 10 valves all in a row, and this winter the pipe going into these valves broke (none of the actual valves are damaged). He said that his neighbor told him the valves need to be underground. I told him I didn't think it mattered as long as the system is blown out in the fall.
    What do you guys think?
    I'm also wondering what kind of price you would charge, or how long you think it would take to fix?
    Any help would be great!

2. waterwatereverywhere

waterwatereverywhere LawnSite Member

Are they standard control valves, or atmospheric vacuum breaker valves? If they are standard valves then it doesnt matter if they are underground (would probably be more asthetically pleasing if they were), however if they are AVB valves then they have to be above ground. If you are just going to fix the broken pipe, then it shouldnt take more than about 1 hour depending on how complicated the setup is, if you are placing them underground count on at least 4 hours to dig your holes, pipe it in, set your boxes and cover it up. Should be worth anywhere from 100.00 for the 1 hour job to maybe 300 or 400 for the 4 hours depending on materials.

3. Let it Grow

Here are some pictures of the setup:

valves1.jpg

4. Let it Grow

You can see the damage in this picture:

valves2.jpg

5. Let it Grow

Here's a close up of two of them. These are the only two pipes that have the filters on them.

valves3.jpg

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Those are Toro flow pro valves , do not re use them . They stopped manufacturing them due to some problems. I always go with new anyway . Only do the job 1 time . That installation looks like it was either homeowner installed or by a contractor with no experience. Looks like there is no backflow , it will need 2 to 3 large valve boxes , new pressure regulators for the 2 drip zones, a blow out point , and a master valve and yes it is supposed to be buried. I would say you are looking at about 4 to 6 hours to make it right . Price would be up there.

When I see something like that I check out the rest of the system. By the looks of that mess , is the rest of the system worth the cost of the repair? If the customer wants a cheap fix , dont touch it .

7. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Whats a freakin hack job! I would proposae to overhaul the entire manifold. Tie in the zones and mainline into a new manifold and valves. Retie in the wireing and take it all underground and box it! WHere is the backflow?????????

8. Let it Grow

Thanks guys. Like I said I have no idea about this system. I don't know who installed it or anything. The owners just bought the house last year, and don't know much about it. Looks like I'll be calling a local irrigation guy! Thanks for the help.

9. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I agree with the others, this job was installed by a homeowner, not a professional contractor.
    If this is what the valves look like, the rest of the system is a mess also.
    It's mbeen my expierence that it is not worthwhile for the customer to spend 3 to 400 to fix this. He is just flushing money down the toilet.

If you repair this, the customer will keep asking you to repair other problems and now you have a poorly designed system that becomes your responsibility.
    I would not touch this with a 10 foot pole. This is the best approach to maintain a good relationship with this customer.

10. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

You touch it - You own it!

Dont bother unless they are willing to pay you to totally fix it correctly. If you dont feel comfortable and are not totally in the irrigation thing yet. Just give it away to someone else