Question for you Leaf Clean up Guys

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rbljack, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

ok, here in west texas we dont have the volume of leaves that most of you are dealing with in the fall. I do have one customer though, that has many mature trees in her yard that are Pecans, and Oaks. Because she is a weekly customer, im still mowing her yard, and mulching the leaves so they arent building up too bad.

My question is this: she has some flowerbeds that are full of viney ground cover like english ivy, and vinca. She wants all the leaves blown out or removed from those beds when I mow also. No big deal, because she is my best paying customer, and I dont mind providing that extra service for her.

My question is this: Will I backpack blower do the job? Ive been contemplating getting a BR600 for a while now. Or am i better off getting one of those cheap poulan pro blowers that can also be a lawn vac? Ive used those as a leaf vac before, and the bag over the shoulder is always a PITA.

Any recommendations? My thought was to blow the leaves into the yard with a back pack blower first, then mower as normal. Id like to hear what yall have to say. Keep this in mind though....the leaves are a thorn in her side. She enjoys her manicured yard all season, but really hates leaves left behind..LOL.

2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The back pack will get the job done no problem. I have a few yards that I blow them out of the ground covered beds before I mow so I can mulch them up with the mower.

3. rbljack

from Texas

yeah, im comparing the br600 to the stihl 86 blower shredder and cant make up my mind.

Any other inputs? I want to get this done as quickly and efficiently as possible becausse im not charging anthing extra for the service, but she pays well all year long, so its a fair trade off.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

A backpack blower is a more useful tool overall. I have a shredder vac, and it's nice for window wells and corners and getting every last leaf out of ground cover...basically detail work. It doesn't get used much though and I could do without it, whereas I could not say the same about backpack blowers. For the man who has everything, a shredder vac is nice, but a backpack blower is almost mandatory in my opinion.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Get a backpack, and I will trade wet red oak leaves for pecan any day.

6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I used to have the stihl shredder vac. It got stolen. I wasn't that upset. I never replaced it. We do a LOT of leaves. I didn't find it that helpful.

7. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

Never used a shredder but ive put a ton of hours on backpack blower, including stihl br600. And id charge extra to blow out the leaves. I dont run a $550 piece of equipment for free

8. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

take the mower across the english ivy, it will come back in the spring.

9. rbljack

from Texas

LOL...thats not an option. But even if it was, i aint going through that with my Honda HRC...no way no how.

There are also bushes, and flowers along with the ivy. I have an old blower vac that im going to try when I go back over there on Tuesday, but from everything im reading, im leaning towards the back pack blower for my next purchase. The only problem is that I dont have 600 bucks to throw at another piece of equipemtn at the moment, so I may have to do it with tools on hand for the moment.

10. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

the backpack blower is a good one and it will have more uses than the shredder vac.