Question for you "Walker" boys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

I have seen a lot of positive threads on the Walker mowers. And just a few that were negative. I can't say I know anything about them, 'cause I've only seen them in pictures. There are no dealers within 100 miles of me that I know of. Anyway, my question is this, how do those gear driven decks hold up? What happens if you hit a root or stump, will it kill the entire assembly? Seems to be a mower that I'd be interested in to do the finely manicured lawns that I do, not for wide area production. The old Chopper with Trac-Vac is getting weak.

Thanks,

Mike

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

the Walker gear driven decks hold up great.

they did have a few problems years ago with 54" 3 blade decks, but that is a thing of the past.

the gear driven decks have shear bolts on the blades, the thing to remember is torque the nuts to 65 ft lbs.

for abusive folks, they offer Von Ruden gear boxes, these have spiral bevel cut gears, cast iron housing....very smooth...very tough!!
    [​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

then they also have belt driven decks 52" & 62" "cemetary specials" these decks are heavy and tough...even have 1/2" cold-rolled steel around the deck edge!!
    [​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

and....the widest deck in the industry 74" - 4 blade, gear driven beast. everyone who has one....loves them.....rough or smooth, these decks perform!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Ive hit rebarb, and a stump when I ran a Walker! :eek: Both times the shear bolts did there job, and there was no damage, I was back to mowing in 5-10 minutes. Just carry extra shear botls, and tools. Trust me, walkers can take abuse, Ive mowed some stuff that I shouldnt have.:p

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

captdevo, whay are they called "cemetary specials" ?

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I beleive Dave meant that you often hit things you shouldn't in a cemetary.

6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

exactly!!

these decks are tough!!

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard people say they are no good because of the shear bolt thing, or lack there of in their own mind. But CaptDevo can back me up here.

They have two shear bolts and a belt before any shock hits the engine.

There are two shear bolts on each blade holder, and one on the drive shaft right where it comes out of the gear box.
    I never broke the bolts on the blade holder but did the one on the drive shaft several times.

The guy working for me hit a big peice of steel once. Changed blades, all shear bolts and were back in biz in no time.

8. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. As a follow up, I guess my next question is this......will the gearbox assembly last as long as the machine, or is this a replacement item every 1000 hrs or so.

Thanks,
    Mike

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

When I sold my biz mine had 1200 hours running strong.

10. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 1997 model with at least 1800 hours, still original gearboxes. And still going strong. I did change the hi pressure lube in them though.