Question for you

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by David W, Aug 31, 2006.

1. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody here familiar with or use PBI / Gordon products? And if so have you had any luck with the new Q4 post-emergent for grassy and broad-leaf weeds + nut-sedge suppression?

Currently using Trimec 992 and thinking of switching over.

Thanks

2. tdkx

tdkx LawnSite Member

Q4 is a nice product it seems. I got myself a couple of free samples and I just applied some a few days ago for some long time customers so I can't tell you how well it works yet. All of the buzz so far is that it is great product. Here is a hint for you...call PBI Gordon and request a free sample. Tell them you heard it was a great product and would like to try it out. They sent me two free 8 oz bottles which was enough for about 6000 ft2. Then just try a test lawn or two and let it go as a loss leader. No one is complaining yet to me about my applications other than the stuff is awfully strong smelling.

3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Just looked at the label.
    2.6 - 3 OZ per thousand?
    Whats the cost on the stuff and is it really worth it?

4. tdkx

tdkx LawnSite Member

Viewed a site today on that Q4 app I did....WOW! I'm not sure of the price of the Q4 yet but let me tell you that the Q4 is working great. The customer is thrilled with the quick performance. I sprayed that property on 8-27-06 and customer is now talking about a reseeding where the crabgrass/bentgrass/broadleaves were, which was all that was there anyway. I questioned a sales guy today and he claims to not yet know the price but has heard it might be a bit on the pricey side. I really have no idea what the cost is going to be. Call PBI Gordon and get yourself a sample anyway.(if they have any left)

5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

why not just make your own according to what the lawns need? Mix Drive 75 (quinclorac), Dismiss (sulfentrazone), and a Three-way (2,4-D, dicamba, etc.) Sure, it might be a pain in the @$$, but it will save you money.

6. tdkx

tdkx LawnSite Member

Where are you going to find Drive 75 at this point in the year? BASF dropped the ball and ran out. Good luck. Dismiss isn't sitting on shelves everywhere either. But lilmarvin is correct in that you could make your own mix.

7. TG TURF CARE

TG TURF CARE LawnSite Member

I Bought A 2.5 Gallon Jug Of Q-4 Last Week From The Local Co-op...price.....97 Bones Per Gallon.....any One Else Buy It For That Price ????

8. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that is pricy!!!!

I went to my local supplier last week and he gave me 6 or 7 samples of Q4. Haven't had a chance to spray yet but hope to today.

I went ahead and bought a jug of TRIMEC PLUS (grassy and broadleaf herbicide) and think I'll probably go with the PLUS.

The only real advantage you get with Q4 is being able to spray in the heat and a few days faster on the kill. This is what the rep told me.

9. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I went to the PBI Gordon site to try to find a distributor in the Chicago area. I typed in my zip code and out pops a few dozen distributors. I called the 6 closest and NO ONE has heard of Q4. One guy tried to sell me 2,4-D to kill crabgrass. I'm going to call PBI and try to get some samples.