1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Question for you..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt Hermann, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Matt Hermann

Matt Hermann LawnSite Member

I've got a quick question...

When you go out to talk to a customer to see what they need done (whether it be mulch, grass or leaves) do you guys take a sheet of paper with you? or just write what they want done in your iPhone/phone? or just memorize it?

Matt

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Go to staples and get a hardcase clip board. Store estimate sheets inside and a pad of paper and business cards. If your confident in your price just spit it out. If they want a formal quaote then use your estimate sheet. Keep a copy to enter into quickbooks later.

3. Matt Hermann

What does your estimate sheet look like if you don't mind me asking? I'm just starting this landscaping stuff up, a sophmore in HS, and have a few questions.

4. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You need to estimate
    -weed pulling time
    -trimming time
    -cleanup time
    -edging time
    -Haul a crap time and dump cost
    -Mulch delivery
    -mulch cost
    -edge prep time (so mulch doesn't spill out onto the walkway)
    -mulch labor

and do it in that order.
    all the ones with time are your hourly rate. Can very by the work.
    Cleanup and edging take the most time,
    edging is the hardest work. You have to weed deep and fast.
    Add it up, multiply by your sales tax and hand them the estimate.

If your off on the mulch charge them more if your off on the labor-your fault. Learn how to quote better.

5. Matt Hermann

what's the difference between edging time and edge prep time?

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i walk the property with the customer and see what they want done then i either give them a price or go to the truck and calculate an estimate and go back and talk to them

7. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

why do people post the same thread in 2 different sections? lol

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I do like JP. Hardcase clip board works great.

9. RadiantLawnCare

RadiantLawnCare LawnSite Member

just grab a clipboard paper and pen, jot it all down as you walk the property then go back to your truck to get your mind straight, figure a price and give it to them.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

if they want a lot done i have a piece of paper i write it on. if it's just one or 2 things i keep in memorized until i can write it down.

if they want a formal estimate they have to wait until i get back to my office to type something up. otherwise i've been known to write the price and service on the back of my business card.

i don't keep track of estimates so there's no putting anything into the computer as far as estimates go. once i'm hired the work that gets done goes in for invoicing but thats it.

the lawns software i use to use had an estimate template but now i've switched over to quicken so there is no template for me to follow so i'm gonna have to make something up.