Question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by saed2000, Nov 2, 2003.

1. saed2000

saed2000 LawnSite Member

Howdy from Houston, Tx.

I've been doing residential irrigation for 7 years now, and I'm going for some commercial now so my questions are, I got a project that I'm bidding on, and the material take off is about $60,000 this a new sub-division esplanades and entrance and so on.

1) Bidding methods. I heard material X 3, or material + labor rate on different task + profit % = total bid. Not sure what's better if any at all.

2) I don't know how to put this proposal/contract together, what should it say, how to specify payments, monthly draws, etc.

If anybody have a sample contract, and would like to share I will greatly appreciated

My e-mail address is
  2. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

1) can you tell me first exactly where the location your bidding is.

It would help simplify my answer.
  3. saed2000

saed2000 LawnSite Member

It's in Houston
  4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

do you have the credit to purchase these materials?? what about cash flow to pay your labor? you know commerical projects are the slowest payers???

you will also have other contractors working around your already installed irrigation systems and stuff WILL be will have to fix it and will you be paid for repairs....

dude, for your first commerical project, this seems huge...get some help, tag team with a company that has taken on a few projects like not go it alone...not being mean, just honest. i wouldn't walk away from the job either....just becareful.

seen many businesses go under due to stupid management.

5. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Big jobs are just like small jobs. But they have to be broken down into pieces, just like Green dude said, if you may have made a mistake on a small project a big project like that one will take a big bite right out of your whole year. If your asking these types of questions your not ready to go it alone IMOP. You need some help proposing a contract. Get your contractors license.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Saed,

Review this post service contracts & agreements
  7. saed2000

saed2000 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, But I still will like to get if possible a sample contract/proposal and input and the bidding methods if any of you have done this type of large jobs.

greenworldh20 you seen to be big in irrigation, would you mind sharing your bidding procedure or sample contract. and BTW I do have the credit line for that kind dollars so that won't be a problem.