question:How to get rid of crabgrass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rnycboa, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rnycboa

rnycboa LawnSite Member

My question is a friend of mine bought a new house, the yard was rotatilled and grass seed put down.During the recent hot spell his lawn exploded with crabgrass.I took a look at it and you cant really even see regular grass its all pretty much crabgrass.What is the best way to fix this.Should he till it again and add seed in the fall,or do chemicals need to be applied.Also should he put a nice base of topsoil down.He was told by a landscaper that the exsisiting soil was fine but i thought it was a little sandy and dry.He does have a sprinkler system and this is on the south shore of long island ny.The property is in full sun.Any advice will be appreciated.

2. jtlandscaping

jtlandscaping LawnSite Member

I have the same problem at one of my customers properties except instead of it happening all at once, it started in one spot and worked its way to about a 20'X10' patch. I also would like information on getting rid of crabgrass weednfeed didnt help.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Wait until after Labor Day to reseed. If you seed in the middle of summer chances are that you will get a lot of weeds germinating. Kill the crabgrass with Drive before it puts out seedheads.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Very good advice, but Drive is prohibited here. CAMA works somewhat, but this smooth crabgrass we get here laughs at Acclaim. If it's that bad.... I'd kill the whole thing with glyphosate and start over with a bare dirt renovation, adding some compost and top soil right at Labor day, maybe even a week prior. If he's on the south shore, it stays cooler....

So, without seeing it, I'd say CAMA now, then either dethatch and slit seed around labor day, or if it's horrible, CAMA now, then kill it with glyphosate around Aug 15, and amend the soil and replant around Sept 1. I'd still use some siduron based starter fert, admitting it isn't AS needed in the fall as the spring, and only has the ability to contol, but worth the extra expense, nonetheless.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

This is precicely why new seeding should be done in August and early September in the North, period.
    By that time... crabgrass, foxtail, goosegrass, and the 'viney' aggressive hot-weather broadleaves like spotted spurge and purslane, are all on the decline.

If your seed comes in thick enough mid to late that given fall, then it should be more than dense enough to combat future invaders on it's own.
    Chickweed and/or henbit would probably be it's 1st test going into the winter and spring.

6. Whitey4

Gotta disagree Marcos.... I DO agree that fall is far better, but don't tell me it can't be done with good results in the spring....

07-8-08lawn 005.jpg

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Glysophate doesn't kill crabgrass?
    I would kill it all then reseed in the fall w/out disturbing the soil and bringing up more weeds. Retilling shouldn't be necessary.

Unsure of the soil then cover your seed with compost. It will help germination and give the soil something to work with.

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Originally Posted by Marcos
    This is precicely why new seeding should be done in August and early September in the North, period.
    By that time... crabgrass, foxtail, goosegrass, and the 'viney' aggressive hot-weather broadleaves like spotted spurge and purslane, are all on the decline.

If your seed comes in thick enough mid to late that given fall, then it should be more than dense enough to combat future invaders on it's own.
    Chickweed and/or henbit would probably be it's 1st test going into the winter and spring.

Fine...you really got me on that one, Chief ! :)

But you can't tell me that you haven't been on that lawn this spring...like a hen on an egg !!

9. Whitey4

LOL..... yes, this was my OWN front lawn... quite a different story than doing it for a customer. :laugh: I spared NO expense, and have been doing plenty of hand weeding. BUT..... now, and I think this is the best arguement for fall vs. spring, (and there are many) the young turf has to go through the long summer stress of July and August. I already plan to slit seed it in the early fall. It's holding up so far, but showing signs of summer stress now.

If it weren't for the dappled shade of that dogwood tree, it would be fried by now. I've also had to fight off dollar spot and brown patch.... water it too much, fungus, not enough, summer burn. In fact since I have had a bit of both... just another reason why it's better to do this in the fall.

10. rnycboa

rnycboa LawnSite Member

Ty for the all the good advice.