question? im new at this so go easy on me

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RacersLawnCare, Apr 1, 2008.

1. RacersLawnCare

RacersLawnCare LawnSite Member

hi everyone thanks for takin the time to read this, i have been in business here in West Virginia for 3 years starting my fourth, as of now i have all residential accounts ( which noone in WV will sign a contract)!!! so i got a meeting friday with a gm of a movie theater here, there is alot of mulch that will need done, some mowing and edging, but my question is what do i do ?? that might sound stupid but i can handle residents easy but i dont know how to go about writing up a proposal form, how do i estimate the price do i give them a monthly cost weekly cost yearly cost what? mulch twice a year how many is average??? ask about snow removal in the winter??? clean ups in the spring n fall??? any input would be greatly appriciated thanks agian for your time !!!

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I only have a handful of commercial accounts but for me, the process has been similiar to getting residentials set up except I am dealing with the boss/manager. Go talk to them and find out exactly what they need done. You can feel them out at this first meeting, make a few recomendations , whatever. Bid it the same way as residentials, maybe giving a little price break if they require 30 yards of mulch compared to a homeowner getting 3...give your mowing price for each cut, figure out how much mulch is needed, labor, plus everything else that goes with the biz. itemize everything that you would be doing on their property and give him/her the estimate. I bill commercial accounts at the end of each month about a week out and checks usually in my mailbox by the end of the month.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

most will make you show proof of liability insurance, and workers comp compliance...... and have a registured business name,

4. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

You need some semi-professional bid sheets to be taken seriously. Go to Office Depot or somewhere with computers and software.You should be able to find an inexpensive program like "my invoices" that will let you add a logo and change things to look original. It will also have estimates, and other basic forms. Since you are obviously not using mopre sophisticated software for accounting, like quikbooks, this will not help you in billing -only looking professional.

As for the bid itself, I do not know the going rates for mulch in your area. I am against just doubling or tripling materials cost, but to tell you the truth -triple your mulch cost is a good rule of thumb for a beginner. Go a little higher for wheelbarrow work and small areas like tree rings, go less if it is coming right out of the truck into an island in the parking lot.

Last -go in with confidence present your bid as if you've presented to owners of larger companies. Tell him what he needs and what your solution and price is. Then ask when he expects to make a decision and offer him two choices of days that you WILL call to follow-up... and then do it. DO NOT ask IF you can call him later.

5. RacersLawnCare

RacersLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thank you guys for all the imput i actually have bid sheets i do not know how " professional" you would call them they have my company heading and then the description of work frequency of work price and so on! but again thanks for the input ill let you all know how it goes!