Question, Is it harmful to apply fertilizer & post herbicide together

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by mexiking, Sep 3, 2007.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hi I have a question because I burnt some of my lawns last week when I was putting Trimec Plus for crabgrass. I had previously sprayed Trimec Bentgrass at 3.5 oz per gal ( 3oz was recommended) and it burnt just the weeds beautifully. Now this was my first time trying out the Trimec Plus and I also put 3.5 oz ( recommend 3oz also). I checked those houses a few days later and they got burnt alot, not just the crabgrass but a lot of the regular grass along with it. Was it because that dozing was too high? Because I put down the fertilizer at the same time? Oh yeah also, a few days later I had applied more liquid but now at 3.2 oz per gal, and it just burned the weeds. i don't think that little bit of oz diff coulda made that big difference or yeah? Well I dont know, thats why I'm asking you guys that always use it... Thanks

2. mexiking

from NJ

Before any of you ask, yes I have my pesticide license, first year doing fert & squirt.

3. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

If the label says to mix the product at 3.0 oz per gallon why are you mixing at 3.5 oz per gallon? Also, Trimec plus is a pretty hot product from what I understand. We use either Acclaim or Drive for post emergent crabgrass control. Acclaim is applied to the point of run-off while Drive only requires complete coverage of the target weed. I would imagine that if you are applying Trimec plus to the point of run-off that this may be why you are getting burn. There is no correlation between the fertilizer application and the subsequent burning around the areas which post emergent crabgrass control was applied.

4. mexiking

from NJ

I put 3.5 oz because on the trimec bentgrass it wasn't working that good at 3.0z and it was doing wonders at 3.5oz.

5. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i can see flames coming, put your suit on:)

joe home owner says, "if x amount is good, then 2x is better!"

6. mexiking

from NJ

well now I gota pay the price, gota fix my errors with sod...

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Trimec Plus contains MSMA--which MSMA--really burns grass if applied slightly over the proper rate--if applied slightly over the maximum temp--or if applied to fine fescue or bentgrass. It is also not particularly effective on crabgrass--unless it is very young, (leaves about 2 to 4 inches long and before seed heads appear). A medium warm day in July would have been good.

Your dealer could have advised about this. Read the label carefully--it may not say it direct--but it will hint that "discoloration" may occur.

Avoid MSMA use Drive. Hope you can repair the damage and your reputation. Rake and reseed as needed. I Hope it works out OK.

8. mexiking

from NJ

thanks riggle, your comment helps a lot.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, and don't take this wrong, but the instructions on the label are not a recommendation, they are the law. Don't be fooled into the homeowner attitude that some is good - more is better...especially when it comes to herbicides. If something doesn't work that well (for all different reasons - conditions, species, etc.), then it just doesn't work that well at that time. Sometimes you may have to switch to another product - even for the meantime.

10. mexiking

from NJ

okay lesson learned.