Question obout vinyl lettering??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, Dec 28, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We're having our enclosed trailer lettered today, and I'm thinking about doing the truck at a later time to match the trailer.

My question is, if I sell the truck in a few years, how do I remove the residue from the lettering?

Is it even possible to remove it all? I've seen alot of trucks running around that have had the lettering removed and you can still tell where the letters were.

The truck and trailer are both white if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

2. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Its easy... Pay someone to do it! lol

3. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

My dad took some lettering off a light brown truck a year or two ago. You could tell where the letters had been so we took it to a guy that does quite a bit or paint work and he used some pressurized water to get it off- sorry, I can't tell you what the psi level was though. Hope this helps.

4. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

Heating the Lettering up with a blow dryer or by other means will make the letters come off easier, (this is what we do on the race car when we change sponsors) sometimes you will need to use a solvent to get some of the glue residue off. If you have a truck that has been lettered for a long period of time and set out in the sun then the rest of the trucks color will fade and the color under the lettering will not, so when you remove the letters you can still see where they have been. Unsure if that is true on a white vehicle.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

It is.

You could have magnetic signs that match.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Problem with having the vinal on the vehicle isn't removing the letters or the stickey, it's that the vehicles paint fades normally in the sun, and where the letters are it dosn't. the longer they are on there the more they will be faded in. The darker the paint, the worse it's going to be noticable. a couple years may have no effect though, just depends on the paint and how much sun it sees over the year.

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

If you remove the vinyl and then take it to a body shop for a buff/polish, you will never know the difference and the entire paintjob will look like new. For my ram it runs around $400 for removal and buff.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

power washer can strip the paint if you're not careful........i imagine a good buffing is needed or at least would help after removal

9. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Get a hold of your local snap on tool or matco tool dealer and get an eraser wheel. It is used to remove pinstripes, lettering, ect. Buff the paint afterwards to blend the faded paint.

10. Ga.GrassCutter

Ga.GrassCutter LawnSite Member

Goo B Gone, works good, along with elbow grease.