Question of speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victor, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys. Is there any way to adjust the hydros on my 60" Lazer with a 27hp Kohler to get more speed out of the machine? I have a 52" HP that is as fast, if not a hair faster than the 60 is. The 60 is advertised as having a higher ground speed than the HP. What gives?

When I got the big Lazer, it was notably slower than the HP untill I checked and adjusted the rpms to where they were supposed to be. Now the 60 goes pretty much the same speed as the HP. Tire pressure is fine btw.

Vic

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What were the RPM's and what are they at now?

3. Victor

Theye were at 3400 and now they're at 3700

Vic

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

3700 blades OFF, mower stationary?

They could be a bit higher. I personally like a shade over 3800. That extra 100 rpm will make a WORLD of difference. More so if your measuring while the mower is mowing grass.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Same experience here,the lazer was slower than the lazer HP.
    We've yet to check the rpm's.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion, RPM's are a VERY important aspect of any Lawnmower. Tach's should be the FIRST accessory added to any mower (it is on mine).

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, but most people don't understand or see the need.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't under stand why they ( manufacturers ) don't have tach's standard on all of em'. I know some like Dixie's and bad boy's do..

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Here is my take on it. Everyone is always wanting more and more features on mowers. But then they are always complaining and complaining about the cost of the machines. To add all the little things up would increase the cost of the machines. Its a happy medium. You give people the best machine possible and the best price and then they can aftermarket anything they want to add.

10. Victor

Moving up to 3800 rpms from 3700 will make that much of a difference? In ground speed as well as cut quality? You don't think it will over tax the engine do you? I don't want to make the thing fly apart. If you think it's safe for the engine, I'll try it and see how it does.

Vic