1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question of taking test in Georgia.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Dec 1, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a question on the pesticide test in Georgia. I have been reading a book "ornamental and turfgrass pest management" and wanted to know what I really need to put emphasize on. There is no way Im going to remember every thing in that book! I wanted to pass this test the first time and not have to do it over again. My brain aint good as it was 30 years ago:)
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad news for you there....

Nearly all of that info in the book is covered on the exam. You have to know your insects and diseases very well. They like to ask about the tree issues as well.

Not any easy test at all.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

Alright folks, I know there has got to be a few on here that have taken the Georgia test. Im ready to get licensed so I can offer more services next year.
  4. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

A similar question a few days ago( it was about the CTP course from UGA). Got very little encouragement,even less advice.

Good Luck with your test.

Grass Cake
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't see that question about the CTP.

FWIW, I would highly recommend it. If you pass the exams for the CTP, it makes the pesticide license testing a little easier.
  6. kjm

kjm LawnSite Member

Turfunlimted was correct in his response....I passed it on 1st.....but I wish I had a better understanding of the different types of beetles that are in the books...I found that part very boring so I didn't spend much time on it. The 2 test do cover all areas....so you need to study all of the material.
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

...I found that part very boring
    KJM, I found that chapter on insects and turf disease also very boring, had trouble concentrating on it. About 2 days before I take the test Im going to pull what I use to do years ago. Cram for 24 hours straight and hope for the best. My good memory I use to have is long gone. Now 30 years ago this would have been a piece of cake.
  8. vincent c. gomeyac

vincent c. gomeyac LawnSite Member

It won't matter if you fail your 1st try, it is important to pass it regardless, I beleive, you're given 3 months to review and then take it the 2nd time.
    Go to your GA. AG. ext. ofc. and ask for the turf & ornamental & cat. 24 8hr. long review video. If you can't get hold of one let may know I might can help you.

Focus on the diseases, IPM, safety.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks for the replies. I watched that video right before I started reading and will watch it again before I take the test as a quick review.
  10. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I failed the first time because I was using an old study guide. Passed the second time.
    There WILL be questions about everything in the book if I remember right. You will have beetle question, moth questions, fugus questions, etc.
    I would just recommend reading until you get bored, take a break and read some more. If there is something you just don't get, move on. Chances are if that question comes up, ya got a 25% chance if you just guess. It is important however to have the broadest overall working knowledge of everything in the study guide.