Question of the day ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdubb44, Feb 28, 2011.

1. jdubb44

jdubb44 LawnSite Member

How many accounts did you have before you decided to hire a full time employee to help with your business ??
  2. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

85,000 - They were all next to each other & they were 1 sq ft ea.
  3. tradeyouraccounts

tradeyouraccounts Banned

8500 next to each other would be a dream route :laugh:
    70 Accounts before needed help.
  4. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a fact!

It all depends on the size of your accounts and a BUNCH of other things.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It has nothing to do with numbers of accounts. It has to do with workload. If you are doing more than you can handle on a regular basis then you may need an employee. I don't have a lot of accounts but half of the accounts I have are full service including bushes, mulch etc.

I said "may need an employee" for a reason. You need to look at operating efficiencies before hiring anyone or additional employees. Are you as efficient as possible? Do you drive your route to minimize stops and distances driven? Is your equipment the right size to minimize mowing time. I had a helper back in 1999 and 2000. I had a Gravely 50" geardrive as my main mower. I bought a 60" Dixie Chopper in 2001 and was able to get rid of my helper.
  6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

wel whe my night job and day job stasrted to blend together and i wasnt sleeping......Hired a guy and went down to 6-7 hour work days and kept night job at wally world as loss prevention keep bennys.......once we added another truck it was time to take the step....oh yeah.
  7. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

This is one of the best questions I've seen in a while. I just started last season and have 25 accoutns now. Sometimes it feels like I need someone just part time to help me, especially when it gets to be August and when it's blazing hot. I say this because when it's that hot/humid I try to work 7a.m. - Noon and no more. As hot as it got last season, I don't see how some of these guys (especially the ones working for $8-10/hr) put up with working out in that heat around noon.

Anyway, I think the answers you find will vary vastly depending on each individuals goals, and how busy they really are, and how good their work ethic is (aka how lazy they are). There are essentially two types

1. Some guys, like me, want to go all day cutting by myself. I want 100% of the money and I like being responsible for 100% of the work. Simply because I don't believe anyone I'd hire would be anywhere close to as good at me with the trimmer and especially edging. Also, I especially don't trust any of the guys I would hire (even friends) running my mower. If they broke something I know most of them would not be able to pay. Also, I can't really count on anyone to be consistent with work. I simply can't rely on them to always be there to get things done. I do hire out work every once in a while when it truely is needed. One day I would like to hand it over to two guys who I can completely trust, but honestly I would love to do about 5-6 yards a day solo 5 days a week and stay there. There is such thing as becoming "too big" where your profit margins are not really increasing anymore even though you've bought work trucks, all these mowers, and gained alot of clients. Just something to think about.

2. Other guys don't care how much labor costs, they really just want to sit on their ass and collect checks no matter how much labor costs compares to how much they're really reeling in. To them, their workers are truely 100% of why their business continues, and they figure they will continue to grow and there is no way for their business to grow with them running solo, thus they need to sit on their ass. Alot of times, they really wouldn't be able to handle doing any yards themselves and if their workers collapsed on them they would go under with the drop of a hat. I NEVER want to be that guy. I know this because I ran two seperate companys 4 years of my life for LCO's exactly like this.

I'm not trying to lump it into 2 categories that are that black and white. Sure there are plenty of LCO's with plenty of workers that are out there busting their ass along with them, fully trust their guys, and those are the ones who truely are the threat to the most commmon 2 types of LCO's. I seem to have gone off rambling again, but I hope this helped at all or anyone else knows what I am talking about.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are a good salesman and manage get help as soon as possible. It never made sense to me to work alone from the first day I started 35 years ago. On the other hand you have to be in an area that has workers available for this type of work. Plenty in our area don't know about up north.
  9. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

How does it not make sense to work alone, especially when you just start? (1-20 accounts) I don't understand.
  10. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

i don't get it either lol...i prefer to work alone and plan to always do that if i can....i don't want the added headache of hiring people and having them quit on me or getting worker's comp and buying more mowers and so on and so on...i like to keep it simple...less worries less headache