Question on 36" Exmark Metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEWINNJ, Apr 12, 2004.

1. NEWINNJ

NEWINNJ LawnSite Member

Went to my local Exmark Dealer on Saturday and got all the info on the 36 fixed deck betl drive and was ready to buy and said I need to sleep on it til Monday since it's gonna rain here for 3 days anyway. I have a stupid question that I am afraid to ask the salesman. How do you (and how hard is it ?) to change the cutting height?? I know the cutting height is preset but I have 1 cust who likes his grass cut about 3/4 of an inch lower than everyone else. Thanks in advance.

2. Action Lawn

Action Lawn LawnSite Member

Its easy. there are spacers on the front casters. Tilt the machine back, pull the pins and change your height. There are about 5 spacers on each caster.

3. NEWINNJ

NEWINNJ LawnSite Member

thanks but do I need add spacers to the blades also?

4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

No..... Or you could use them to try to retain corrct deck-pitch. Why I love a floating deck!

5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

.........but alot more trouble to adjust with the blades, if you go that route.

6. Action Lawn

Action Lawn LawnSite Member

Once you set your deck pitch"spacers on the blades" then you can adjust your casters to the customers request. The blade spacers will depend on turf conditions in your area. We change our blade spacer height about 3 or 4 times a year.

7. Crisp Cuts

Crisp Cuts LawnSite Member

On a fixed deck walk behind you change the deck height by moving the blade spacers. Each one should be 1/2" it requires a wrench on the bottom and a rathet on the top. If you move your front casters you will not get a smooth cut, because your blades will be tilted back as opposed to forwards. To get a proper cut your blades should be tilted forward 1/4", measurement of Blade ht. taken at front tip should be 1/4" lower than measurement at rear of blade. It takes about 5-10 mins. Exmark also recommends 115lbs. of torque be applied when retightening, To prevent deck vibration supposedly makes it last longer.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I very rarely need to change the spacers under the blades. As stated above, that is more for conditions. I just adjust the spaces at the casters. Simple, takes about 30 seconds to do them.

9. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I get a range of about 1.5 to 3.5 with the spacers on the hub and they take no longer than about 2 minutes to change.