question on "as-builts"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Nov 14, 2007.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

how do you guys do your as builts? do you draw it out on paper, use a cad program, or get copys of surveys and mark locations on that?
  2. I use Autocad for my as builts and print them out on a Mutoh plotter.....
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Depends upon specifications regarding scale and accuracy.
    On residential sites I get to with-in a couple of feet on valve locations but on some golf course systems I have been involved in accuracy was with-in 1%.
    So it depends.
    Residential I use engineering paper and an accurate wheel measure.
    Golf Course systems are Auto-Cad all of the way with inputs from the GPS.
  4. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

For residents we just do a simple drawing on a regular piece of 8x11 letter head paper of there property and mark where the heads and valves are. Now as far as commercial goes thats totaly up to the contractor they can get picky.
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we half ass them on an original copy of the plan for septic systems...for roof drains we just do a simple picture drawing on an 8x11 with a few measurments ...but that is for our purposes in case we ever need to come back and locate the pipe
  6. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Residential - Computer CAD drawings. Property is to scale, irrigation layout scale depends on the client and how well the install crews note the job.

Commercial \ Golf - Break out the GPS (we have sub-foot ability in the field; 1/10" post-processed on the laptop\office).

We use RainCAD & AutoCAD or DesignCAD depending on where the drawing is being done at. We use Trimble GPS equipment.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, design and adjustments to original for as built using autocad. Renovations get pictures for as built. I keep everything digital until needed and send pdf's for reference to clients.

Anyone use ArcInfo?
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You prolly knew I'd check in on this one...I did "as-bilts" for years with a #2
    pencil over the original plan with velum overlays & then blue print the plan.
    Jeez, I miss the smell of blueprint! The new owner of my biz, with the LAs,
    is doing it as you all describe. As long as clients will pay for the "as-bilt",
    fine, but I quit doing them very early on when I began servicing what I sold.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You miss the smell of blueprints? (or do you mean 'whiteprints' made by the diazo process?) I had a diazo printer for awhile. Even wasted space with a flat file. And did anyone ever consult the as-builts? Oh, ha-ha, it is to laugh.
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, whiteprints, no one ever consulted "as bilts" (spelling my joke).
    My point was service after install...then you don't loose track.