question on bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harrington Landscape, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Harrington Landscape

Harrington Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Erie Pa

I am bidding a huge plaza the lawn is all hills. It takes 1 two man crew 6 hours to mow . they are using 2 48 wb. Now what i am doing is running 1 3 man crew with 2 48 and one 60 wb to mow I am just seeing what a yearly price would be for this I am guessing the total hours for the season would be 200 with any extras for the trimming and blowing/I dont have any pictures due to the snow that is still on the ground. All i can say is you can not use riders for this which sucks I have been working on a man hour rate. so if you can help me that is great. I do not want to look way over priced and too low.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

15 years in business and you can't price this job? :laugh:

3. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

What difference does it make how many years he has been in the business? Either answer his question or move on, why do you feel the need to make a smart ace comment like this? What are you the expert that never needs a secound opinion or even some advice? Maybe he does know how to bid it but would like to make sure with all the veriables. This is the BS that makes me so upset,i mean the very first response to a normal post has to be one like this! Answer it if you know or maybe your the one that just dont know how to bid it so its easier to bash then to have an answer i guess.

4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea Big W, not to mention John Deere service is over-rated here.

5. Harrington Landscape

Harrington Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Erie Pa

dude IF I was looking for a smart A$$ answer I would have asked. I am just looking for some help just so I have all my duck in a row IF you don't have a real or educated answer then don't say anything ok. people like you piss me off on this web site. All I am looking for are some other peoples opinion on a yearly price. thank you.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

How can anyone on this site answer this question. Know one here knows his costs except for him. I have never seen this many threads on on this site before, from people asking for help on bidding a particular property. Know one can answer it for you. Besides, we have never seen the property. Do you bid blindly without even taking a look. You guys can be pissed off all you want but some things you need to do your own homework on.

7. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

I have to agree with you on this one; however, I guess that he is now questioning himself and needs a little sound advise. Well for what its worth the Univ. of Ga. has a program just for this very problem.http://www.hort.uga.edu/extension/programs/hortmanage.html This program will help you find your cost of doing and it will tell you what your break-even will be on this property. It is a very good program, you will also need Excel for this program. You will have to enter all of your equipment cost, labor cost and all other items that you might use like Chemicals Etc...once you enter this info it will keep it for future bids so all you have to do is enter Sq.Ft. of grass, Ln.Ft of edging sq.ft. of weeding and any other things you might include in this bid. It will give you a good understanding on how to approach these big properties and he was right about everyone being different, If you were biding against me and my overhead consisted of an office, shop space and a fleet of Isuzu trucks and everything that goes along with all of this and you were driving a used ranger pick-up with a 12Ft trailer and an old lawnboy mower you would bury me!! I try to bid the jobs that I am best suited for and I will pass on the real small ones and the real big ones. As the old saying goes [ There,s an a$$ for every seat] mine might not like sitting in a Chevette and it can't afford a corvette!! but that new F-250 feels just about right.Anyway, check out that UGA site and see what you think. (its about $45 dollars or close to that)

8. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

I stand corrected, The program wen't up quite a bit over the last 3 years. It is $100-$175 depending on how which programs you get. Its a small price to pay for making money!!!