Question on Blades ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, May 5, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guy's/gal's use OEM blades or do you opt for an aftermarket blade? Also Walker owners could you tell me how much you pay for a set of blades? I got a price for a set for my 54"SD and I thought it was a bit high,$125.00 for 3 blades and hubs. All comments will be greatly appreciated.
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use aftermarket on my 2 exmarks. I pay about $8-9 per blade. I've used oem and I can't tell any difference between them and the aftermarkets, except for the price.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same thing TJ, i cant see a difference. But doenst that conflict with your quote?
  4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

All blades are aftermarket blades. Mower mfg's don't make blades, they buy them from a source. If you know of a mfg that does, they are the exception.

BTW, I tried the Gator Magnums and they don't seem any different to me than the other Gators. The blades I ordered from my dealer stayed very sharp longer (harder steel?) IMO, this makes them much better blades.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I just picked up a set of blades for my Walker on Friday. Two blades for the 48" GHS model were $81.75 Canadian. I told the Dealer I would never be back there again. I called my wife from the Dealer and had her look up the bill from last year, it was less than $50. The guy had the nerve to say "we don't sell many blades" I said at that price you never will. I'll be buying them in Michigan from now on. This is from my local Walker dealer, just another reason why I drove 85 miles to Kitchener Tractor to buy my Walker.

[Edited by cantoo on 05-05-2001 at 11:13 PM]
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you are right, whoops. Sometimes I don't always think, before I speak, just ask my wife. LOL. And I thought no one paid much attention to my comments here. LOL
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I guess I won't be buying a Walker any time soon!

That's ridiculous, do they last 10 times longer than any other blade?
  8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

How many times were you able to sharpen the old blades before they were "wore out" ? Are the new blades made of "hardened steel" ?
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I just paid $11 per blade at the Walker dealer for OEM on the 42" deck. The cups were another $15--but you don't replace them with new blades so that doesn't count.

I can live with $11 per blade