Question on blowout liability?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Alluring Lawns, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

This fall one of my guys did a blowout on a house, and he just shut off the ball valve before the back flow then proceded to blow the system out properly. Well recently the pipe froze and broke between the main line shutoff and the ball valve, flooded a crawl space, and needless to say my phone is ringing off the hook. I was just wondering what you guys thought my liability is? Thanks a lot for any insight.
  2. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

I'd think your liable for all the damage, but how much damage can really be done in a crawl space? Also if your guy knew the main needed to be off he should have left a note w/the homeowner or made sure you or your office knew a return visit was needed to finish the job.
  3. Alluring Lawns

Thanks, your right, and good point about the crawl space. Live and learn i guess.
  4. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Just curious, how is that your fault? unless you installed the system.What else could you have done? Sounds like the system was not installed properly if it froze between the ball valve and the main shut off. Maybe the ball valve was put too close to an exterior wall? window left open? vent not closed? If you didn't install the system, it doesn't sound like your problem.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the main system shutoff was left open, and only an outdoor shutoff was closed, and heat from the home wasn't enough to prevent freezing, damage would be inevitable.
  6. Alluring Lawns

I might not be liable, but its a good customer (property management company), so I think i'll just bite the bullet on this one. Has anyone else had similar problems from home owners with broken pipes?
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

OK... Who's got the bookmark to the picture of the pipes broken in the garage and ice all over the cars? :laugh:
  8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

That's a Dana picture.........................
  9. I suppose it depends on where the ball valve was that he shut off?

If the ball valve that he shut off left some unprotected piping and he didn't mention it or suggest a fix......I would feel liable if I were you.

Good luck......
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

You mean this beauty?