question on brickman

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutbetterthanyou, Jan 26, 2007.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

today i get a phone call telling me that i can't even bid on a contract i had last year, because brickman has already gotten fact they got the contract on 200 places across the usa. brickman has just moving in to our area as well as tru green. my question is for people that they have been in your area, are they going to take up all the big accounts around here? ,and how do you compete with people like this? i do a very good job for cheap the guy from brickman told the maintenance supervisor that "this is one of the most well taken places that i have seen around here" .the supervisors @ this place still wanted me to do the services over brickman they don't really have a say thought it is up to the main office. are they going to take me from 4 employees back down to one mower by myself? i am kind of worried i have heard that you just can't compete.
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Big companies like to deal with other big companies. Its just easier for them that way. If a national corporation needs lawn care at all of their properties around the US it is just easier to deal with a national chain that provides the work they need done. That is simply the way it works out. And yes, it will probably continue to happen. My advice would be to target smaller, more local companies.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry to hear that ... my best advice is to stay in good with the property manager ... ya never know what's to happen

6 years ago I lost a good size job from a national property builder n PM company to got into "bed" together ...I was dropped fore the PM's own LCO ...which has most golf coarse gated HOA's in the Vero area .... this was a $100k per year job

I kept in good faith ....which was hard too do ....4 years ago I got another good size HOA ....later on they brought in this PM company ...I made pretty %&**%'in sure that the HOA luved me ....the PM tried the same thing but the HOA stood ground n I'm still there .....n building my own relationship with the PM fore properties in my area ....I got out of Vero years ago ...just could not compete withe the much larger LCO down that way

They're not Brickman in size but they are $10-6 M yearly

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

its all in your relationship, stay tight with your prop managers

its how brickman does it, super (like a phone call each week or 2) communication

also they like to have all their contracts signed BEFORE the year is over, so try talking your clients after things go good the first sign onto a 3 or 5 year contract deal like brickman does, this eliminates the option for them to need to look for another service provider unless service goes bad.

i worked for them for 5 years....learned tons
  5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Brickman usually has alot of mexicans don't know if there illegal or not but they have cheaper help and they big cheaper and usually end up with the bigger jobs atleast thats what they do round here
  6. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I myself hate seeing those tan and brown trucks and traliers while doing my route
  7. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree they are brown like s**t.
  8. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

Brickman is intimidating, but money talks. They have 6000 employees, new trucks, full-time fleet service, etc.... I don't. Are they better positioned? Yes. Can I compete? Yes.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I see that happening around alot, where a company goes to a corporate headquarters, says I'll mow everything in the nation, you have to pay one check.

It works for a while, but eventually, the company realizes that the one LCO / snowplow / sweeping company doesn't provide the best service, and goes back to the local level.

You'll lose it for a year or 3, but after that, it'll be back.
  10. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats to bad they took your accounts. I'm sure that you will get new ones and as long as your service is far better they should stick with you. I'm sure everyone will hate me for buying one of there mowers. I didn't know it was theres until after I bought it they really need to take better care of there equipment :hammerhead: