1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question on broken sprinkler head.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jul 10, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

First let me say that I know zilch,zero, nothing about underground sprinklers. Yesterday while mowing thru some tall grass I took out one that was sticking up out of the ground. The mulcher made short work out of it. I wanted to know how much trouble are they to change? Do you have to do any cutting (into PVC) and reglue? I did not dig around it to look at it because it was raining hard at the time. The owner was not at home but I need to let them know. Will do it myself if its not difficult. This was not a high profit yard is what sux. Thanks. BTW, in 8 years of doing yard work this was my first one to hit, I always try to watch for the heads that are sticking up or stuck in the up position.
  2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

its not that hard to replace...either dig it up or call and irrigation company to repair the problem...you could probably refer work to said company and recieve discount on the service call.

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dig around it, unscrew it and take it to HD. they should have something that works and looks the same. Look at the bottom of it and make sure its the same 3/4 or 1/2. Some have nipples and some don't, once you do your first repair its easier the next time you take one out. :)
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Be carefull when you dig around it, as it may be hardpiped in and you might snap the nipple off.

Try to go to a plumbing supply store and get a proper replacement for the brand, also try to find out what the original nozzle was (Find another sprinkler on the same zone that sprays the same radius), and use the same size.

Finally, make sure to wet adjust it, or it may be spraying off a house.
  5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jon is right on the wet, I replaced one and had to come back and adjust it later, HD had one that shows everything on the top, position, etc...I used one of these and just messed with it dry, starting and stopping points...no calls yet to adjust...also watch for dirt getting into the line, it will plug up your sprinkler.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You will want to put the sprinkler in,then take just the top off it with the guts,then turn on the line to blow out any dirt,then turn it back off and put the top back on.Turn it back on and adjust it.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt do that. If theres dirt in the line, its going to clog in the marlex elbow, not in the head screen (99% of the time).

If your really concerned about dirt. Dig it back to the tee, cut the marlex out of the swing pipe, take the swing pipe out of the hole and then flush.