question on doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by regnort, Sep 27, 2002.

1. regnort

regnort LawnSite Member

I know someone is gonna say use the search and I did and didn't see an answer to my question after looking through about 15 pages of posts, so here goes. For you guys using doubles do you engage the blades at full throttle or at a lower idle? I have read enough posts to finally be convinced to at least try doubles for wet grass and leaves.

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I engage at 1/2 throttle, but there have been times that I've disengaged, got off to move something, and then engaged at full throttle. I have a Dixie Chopper.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

mowers are different...

mowers which engage via idler and tensioners should be engaged at lower rpms....if you engage at high rpms, you wear the out belts alot faster

most mowers which engage via electric clutch are made to engage at wot.....if you engage at lower rpms, you'll wear out the clutch much faster.

4. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I engage at full throttle, but I engage it slowly. So I guess this depends on your mower. I use a bunton 36" for my doubles. Once they get going, it is great.

Lasher

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

captdevoe . u seem to know what u are talkin. i have a lazer with electric engage,
    so its kinda critical to know if what u say is right.appreciate it if u would elaborate ,and possibly give some reference sources. thanks

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My Toro Proline has to be engaged at full or she snubs.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The More horse power And bigger Clutch You have (200Lb Or Bigger) The lower The RPM'S You can turn your blades on. If your mower is Under powered you Will burn out your clucth early. I have now All lazers with the 26FI Kohlers And 200Lb Cluches And I'm able to turn On my blades At about a Quarter Or Just a Littel over a Quarter throttle:D . So you will Half to experement with it.
    John.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

seems to me this could be an very costly
    problem ,if a person went the wrong way. i currently engage at about quarter throttle an thot i was doing the rite thing. also the wd i got was that disengage should be done at low rpm also.
    id kinda like to read up on the subject ,
    if anyone knows a source. thanks

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless of doubles, mulch kit, ultra vac or whatever I always engage at the lowest possible RPM's that it will go. At least 5 eXmark employees have told me this many times.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

On my w/b's (manual engage) I allways engage and disengage at the LOWEST possible rpm's, like 65 Hoss said.