Question on expanding/relocation...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dennis E., May 5, 2002.

1. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Hey all!
    I posted this over at Lawn and Landscape. For those that may have seen it already,forgive me please!
    We are thinking about relocating over to the east side of Fl.
    Palm Bay. It's about 2.5 hours away. We are debating about what we should do here on this end. We are well established and owner-operated. A majority of our accounts have been with us anywhere from 5 up to 13 years. Around 60% commercial and the rest residential.We have tossed the idea around of taking on a partner. Either that or selling the accounts here. I'm not too keen about that though. Mostly because of not knowing how long it will take to get a good cash flow going over there. It's a good area with,IMO,really good potential. We have been looking at the brokers over there as well as the newspaper for accounts for sale.Not much available. And the brokers make it a lot more expensive also!!
    Looking for some ideas or other options that we more than likely have overlooked.
    Nice to be here and thanks in advance for the help!:D
    This place is :cool: !
  2. Dennis E.

Don't be shy! I need some opinions here.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure you have visited Palm Bay .... it's a fast growing area no doubt n you'll have quick access to Melbourne (Commercial Accounts .... Lots of em) .... LBS ..... Commercial Mowers .... Tropic Care (you'll get NO Golf Homes in Vera they have it LOCKED) Contempory .....Southern Greens n Nicks are the Big Guns over here

Palm Bay is .... well a nice area in some areas .... but for many area's they have little to NO irrigation lot of dirt lots ....then even so ....when the rains come ....little to no drainage ....thus many back n side yards become ponds

I don't cut down there anymore but at the time there was work to be gained was just to far from MI

Soooo many outfits ...ton's of Cutter's ....but you know this as I'm sure it's the same in your area ....after all provide a realiable consistent service n success can be sweet ....if you don't mind ....why the move ?
  4. Dennis E.

We have friends over there. We have made trips over there to visit pretty often. Both my wife and I love the area. Looks to be on the move,(growth). A better place for our three kids to grow up also,at least IMO. Lakeland is getting to be known as the "meth" capitol of Fl. It's getting to be insane here. We lived over in Brandon ( east of Tampa) for almost 8 years. Came east to get a little peace and quiet. It caught up with us!
    If you want to see dry come down and visit our location!:eek:
    We have gone to visit during the dormant/slow months and it is in a lot better shape than where we are at. I can just imagine how it gets when rain is plentiful! We have the same problem here with run-off during heavy rains. No where to go in a lot of places and some heavy clay content in others. Lots of standing water.
    Not too worried about competition. We have TONS here. That is just the yellow pages.Then there are the weed-end warriors and part-timers. Thats what makes it fun.
    Biggest problem is that I don't want to give up the cash flow I have here. Most all have said NO on the partner idea,including my accountant. Finding/hiring someone here capable and reliable to run this end till I get going over there is looking almost impossible at this point. Help is scarce here. Good help anyway.
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Dennis if you make the move ...drop me an e-mail or call my # on my web page ..... I'm very good friends with the District Manager of Bob Evans ....they just opened Palm Bay 2 months ago n 3 more to come this year .....I'm getting everything N of Wickham Road but there will be others S n in the PB area

Looking for accounts ?? Call Steve at A1A mowers in Indiatlantic or Bill Stewart Cub Cadet Port St Johns or even other Mower shops in the yellow pages over here ....They ALWAYS get the heads up on people selling accounts ... good way to jump start the cash flow

Good Luck ....... nnn your right this is a great area to raise a kid ....the beach is only 20 mins away! ....great fishing ....good schools ... n the Shuttle Launchs are awesome!
  6. Dennis E.

Thanks for the help bro! I'll print this before it disappears.:)
    The wife is really gung ho to move. Still up in the air about this end. Sell or hire someone. I'll have to increase the Icehouse intake.It helps me relax to think and ponder.:angel:
    I really appreciate it!
  7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I thinking that if I was in your shoes I would probably hire a good man and make the 2 hour trip a couple times a week,
    You mentioned good help is hard to find ...perhaps your not willing to pay for good help. You will have to "give" to get the freedom that you will need to start up in the new area.
  8. Dennis E.

There is a shortage of people here that are capable of doing what I need done,(i.e.-responsible,reliable). I had one really good hispanic but he was illegal. I had to let him go. I can't afford to pay what the "big guys" pay here. Most of the hispanics here that are legal opt for the farm work. They can make a ton of money in a short time and take the rest of the year off.
    Even big businesses here are hard up for help.
    It's a lot easier said than done.
  9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Your right Dennis, I don't know the labor market down there.

My thoughts were that you have allot to offer a "good guy ".

Possible ownership down the road??

We are now the highest paying company around these parts and the only one that I know of that pays time and a half after 8hrs. We have no shortage of workers, in fact we have a line up of guys wanting to work. We did our first evaluation of the year when we go over everyones preformance, potential, attitude etc.
    We have 4 categories of workers ... supervisor, crew foreman, skilled laborer and laborer... only one falls in the last category.

Sorry I got off topic ... I wish you all the best in your move ...whatever you decide.
  10. Dennis E.

Possible ownership. Can you give me a little advice on this? I approached my accountant with the idea of taking on a partner and he flipped out. His exact words were..."Don't do it!"
    In fact his opinion on our relocating was pretty negative. I know I can make it fly on the other end,it's this end that I'm concerned about. Getting someone started with the "ownership option down the road" might be the answer. I'm not gonna' run this by my accountant,not yet anyway,until I can get a better picture of how it would work.
    Care to share?:D
    I congratulate you on your operation. Sounds like a very organized and well run business. :cool:

(I did not mean to sound like a SA on my response.Sorry.)