Question on Fine Fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this sall property that I do and she wants fine fescue seed with aeration. Is there a good seed that any of you use in the midwest area?
    Could I get some info on it?
    Mabey a web site

Thanks for any help with this....

2. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

Is Lesco in your area? You can always call them if not. I use transition blend (by Lesco). I am sure there are many other brands available, but Lesco seems to have their stuff together. Anyway, call Lesco, they have a website also. You can not go wrong with them. Good luck.

P.S.
    I know I am not in the midwest area, just trying to help.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use "Kansas Premium Fescue Blend". It was genetically engineered from Kansas University. They are nationally recognized for their horticulture research. You are not far away and might be able to purchase some. A 25# bag sells for about $29 for a distributor, but if you go to a nursery, it will cost you about $50 and this is what I charge the customer, on top of what I charge to install the seed.

MATT

4. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

hey premo, i use the lesco in fenton missouri, in the park acrosss the street from the chrysler plant, its down fenpark off rudder road. that is where i get all my seed and starter fertilizer

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Fine fescue is hard to find by it's self. Lesco Transition Blend usually has one fine fescue in the blend. Most of what I had last year had Lancer II, looks like alot of stock has Lancer II or Biltmore, both are fine blade fescues.

Not sure where you can buy a fine blade by itself, I wish I could.