1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question on Hover Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimmbo407, May 17, 2006.

1. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I did a search and have read about Hover Mowers. Is it worth buying one for wet areas or is a trimmer just as effective, efficient, ect. Those that use one do you think they are worth the money for wet areas, not steep hills. I did not see any threads that dealt with that when I did my search.

I have a lot of wet drainage areas between yards that I do with a trimmer, I was thinking maybe a Hover Mower would be better and quicker.

Thanks for any thoughts.:usflag:
  2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would not buy one. I used them on the golf course for around bunkers because the mowers couldn't get to them and nobody likes to weedeat around sand. They wouldn't be any faster than a trimmer and are definitely more cumbersome.
  3. jimmbo407

Thanks barefoot that was my big question. How do they compare to trimmers:usflag:
  4. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive used them and still do on golf course work and love them... they arre easy to use..... about the same though as far as time goes vs a reg trimer..
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

How large and how easily accessible are the areas you maintain that are wet?
    Properly set up, a hover mower will out perform a handtrimmer in trimming wet turf at boggy conditions.
    The cut turf will look better as well.
    I (really my crews do)operate hover mowers on banks, retention pond bottoms and in drainange areas and are consistently faster, shows a more uniform cut and are less tired with the hover mowers than handtrimmers.
    However, most of these areas are about 1/2 acre in size.
  6. jimmbo407

The size of the area differ from about 500sqft to 3000sqft. Some of the area's dry out later in the season and some stay wet the whole summer. Bog area's is a good way to describe them. Thanks for the input keep it coming.
  7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i thought about a hover mower, my dealer had a used one, but it looked too complicated for my trim mower needs.
  8. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

anybody have a picture they can post?