question on irrigation systems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by northwest lawn, Mar 26, 2005.

1. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

a new devolpment wants me to bid on maintaining there common areas and cul-de sacs but they also need me to bid on starting the irrigation system in the spring and then winterizing it. any advice will greatly help.

2. Georgia Bull Dog

Georgia Bull Dog LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Consider how far it is from your normal routes. Figure how long it will take to winterize and open in the spring. Commercial property is billed at a much higher rate than residential. Consider usually broken heads and fittings for cul de sacs. For the service I usually give them a trip charge and a per head charge . One price for the large and one for the small. Keep in mind that they most likely will have considerable service throughout the year. Good work if you can get it.
    Noel

3. northwest lawn

what do u charge per head? never done irrigation before. and yes it is right down the rode from my normal route so it will work out just wasnt sure on the irrigation

4. Georgia Bull Dog

from NJ

The head charges are different around the country. I charge $75 and 35. plus. Figure about how long things will take and your costs per hour.

5. northwest lawn

what would u suggest on a labor rate on my second year in the lawn care business i am currently up 103 customers mostly commercial what would u suggest as a decent labor rate. the guy i hired to do the fertilizer also knows about irrigation. any suggestions?

6. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

We are in Cleveland and we charge 77.50 to show up (1guy) then 10.63 every 15 minutes plus parts. I would think if you charge in the range of 70-80 for the first hour per 1 guy you would be about right plus parts and a discounted rate on a second guy if they are needed. Also if you get Lawn & Landscape check out the irrigation service article on service pricing it may help too.

depending on the rotor we charge 20.95-29.25
    Spray pricing ranges a lot because of different models 4.5-18.95

Other things to think about when servicing, charge for everything down to individual clamps and pipe all the way to a shop materials charge for pvc work to cover the glue and such. If you only service a few customers you are still going to have an inventory of parts so you are not wasting valuable labor driving to the supply house everyday to pick-up a $5 part. Good Luck

7. Georgia Bull Dog

from NJ

Sounds like good advise to me.

8. northwest lawn

thanks for the advice. this will be the only irrigation that i will be handling its just a basic prep and winterize deal so i can get the landscape bid.