Question on John Deere

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JakesLawnService, Sep 11, 2010.

1. JakesLawnService

JakesLawnService LawnSite Member

Whats up fellas, Im starting next spring an have a question for yall. Im looking at a John Deere z425 Z turn.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_288818-573-BM23019_4294821016_4294937087?productId=3139701&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Riding%2BMowers%2B_4294821016_4294937087_?rpp=15$No=0

I was wondering what everyone thought about it for a couple years of use until i get bigger and can pay off a new exmark etc... I know its not commercial and i know its not going to have as thick of a deck and all the other things that go along with commercial mowers. I already am doing one big account that really needs to be done with a z turn because of all the obstacles, but it wouldnt be used near as much commercially as my walkbehind will. Any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

it's the ole ford chevy thing...

personaly I dont like deers

3. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

i would avoid it, and find somehting used, the smaller hydros and other parts wil break alot sooner. a common problem is the wheel hub breaking, commercial machines can handel jumping cubs, transpoting on a trailer, that mower you are talking about was probablly ment to run for 5 years mowing 30 times per season. do the reverse math, you mow more than 5 accounts with it, and by the end of the year it will show

4. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

^^what he said. people wonder why we pay $250-$400 for a trimmer too......

I know you said the one place has a lot of obstacles, but look for a decent used belt drive or hydro walk behind (you would be surprised how maneuverable they can be once you get the hang of using them). suck it up and walk for a year, maybe 2, if you're just starting out you prob dont have that many accounts anyway. And when you do get a rider, keep the WB as a good reliable backup or as a second mower if you need it.

5. JakesLawnService

JakesLawnService LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice fellas, Im going to try to get a 48in walk behind starting out then depending on my accounts and if i need it, maybe a 36in walk behind as well. Again, thanks for the help

6. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

jake you're not so far from me...i'm starting out as well....only have a few customers so far as the season is coming to an end...hopeing to get more next spring and get things going

7. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

I have a 36" walk behind that does 75% of all my mowing...

If you get a 48" walk behind you will not be able to access gates or fences or allot of backyards. I'd go with a 36" Deere....

The mowers at Lowe's are still high dollar.$3000.00-$4000.00 ..Id take that money and get a used commercial Deere...:rolleyes: