question on labor rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chesterlawn, Apr 5, 2006.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a small landscape and cutting buisness. Most of my work is cutting , but when I get work as mulching prunning etc. I charge $30 per man hour . Is that about what you guys charge?

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you have got to charge more. trimming should be $65-$90. and mulch should be around $70-$90

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't get off the couch for 30 an hour

4. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

know i charge for me and lable my hours as skilled labor at $50 an hour and i charge $25 an hour for every other person i work. never less than $50 a hour for your. dont be scared they will pay it

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

$45 hr here

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Check with your CPA he can help you determine what you NEED to charge..... Do you think everyone just guesses? Wait.....on here most do.......But the real successful guys know and it has nothing to do with what the guy down the street charges

7. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

I don't charge by the hour. I give a flat rate where I think I'll at least(worst case) get $50 per man hour. Have I jammed myself ? A few times but more often than not I make out great. For clean ups I have to add for disposal.

8. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I new your secret. One guy I've heard gets 45. One gets 40. Most others get between 30-35. Then you have the high school kids. No offense to the high school kids its just what happens around here. If we charged 60 a hr than no one could afford there 1500 sq ft house for 600k. Houseing is ridiculous.

9. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Well like I said I don't tell the customer about an hourly rate. It's been my experience that people like flat rates a lot better than hourly.

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what if any equipment your using. $35.00 per man hour is fine if your using basic hand tools. when you use hedge trimmers mowers whatever, you need to figure the hourly cost for the equipment. if your running a mower you need to be $50 + per hour.

For mulching you need to combine the cost of the materials + your rate per man hour and a mark up on the materials I normally charge $70 and up per yard of mulch installed