Question on Laser Levels

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenMonster, Feb 6, 2006.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

First, I'm kinda curious what brands/models some of you guys are using.

I tried the Home Cheapo $400 CST/Berger. It was a manual level laser which I found frustrating to constantly check and readjust for level. so, I think I want a self leveling unit, although I'm wondering how to set it to a pitch, say for your 2% on a walkway or patio. Do most self leveling lasers have the ability to use in manual mode?

2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the berger from HD. I have no proble with it. I like the ability to read elevations by myself. Once you set it and level it. You should be able to shoot your levels w/out moving it that many times.

3. GreenMonster

from NH

The biggest problem I had with it was that it didn't maintain level well. Kept drifting, I didn't move it. Other than that the drifting, it was easy to use, though I'm not sure how you set this one for pitch either.

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark - We have a CST/Berger. I think it is the LMH-600. It is self leveling and works very well for us. I believe we paid like $1000-$1100 or something.

Chris

5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark, we use a Topcon self leveler with the single slope feature. I have to say, we never use the slope feature. Self leveling is a must in my opinion.

6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

David White and Leica Rugby, both self levelling. Manual levels are very very inaccurate at any distance.

7. GreenMonster

from NH

Ok, thanks guys, good info.

Mike, Chris, Squizz, how are you setting self-leveling to a slope. Mike - you say you don't use it, but how do you set your slope on a patio?

8. GreenMonster

from NH

That seems to be the going rate for a half-decent self leveler.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We simply calculate the pitch we need, find point A, find point B and connect the dots.

Chris

10. GreenMonster

from NH

ummm.... can you be more specific? I mean, is there a reciever you put on the stick, like with the $400 I used? Do you "tip" your laser manually so it is on plane with the desired slope?