Question on modifcations to a trailer.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Turf Technologies, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have a 16ft open trailer. Id like to have some modifcations done to it. For example, adding a side gate, a few basket on the side, and a stroage box up front. Is it worth the money to do this, or better off going new?
  2. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Hey turf are you good with w/ fabercating yourself I like doing my own stuff this time of year is great for that, the cost would only be for the material needed! or get a price of one complete with all the goodies, than compare to what someone would charge you to do the same. sometimes it not worth it sometimes it is, all the extra stuff can get costly! do you know a local welder?

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are near Orlando I have a freind that does custom fabrication. He built my last trailer. He made a nice looking diamond plate trailer for his harley.
  4. Turf Technologies

from Florida

I do know a few welders in my area. I wish that was somthing i could do on my own but I cant.
  5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Depends on the trailer if it is worth the modifications. If the trailer is a custom built heavy duty model in good shape, then it might be worth it. If it is your basic landscape trailer then the modifications would be hard to justify the expense, especially since you can't do it yourself. You also need to ask yourself if this trailer will be exactly what you need after the modifications.
  6. Turf Technologies

from Florida

As of right now I have two trailers. A 6x12 Wells Cargo enclosed and a 16 tandem open trailer. I want to downsize my fleet to one trailer. Main reason my 60 Z doesnt give me much room to move in the Wells Cargo. And Id prefer an open trailer. And idea as to the cost of doing somthing like this?
  7. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I can do my own mods can anyone tell how they did there sidegate and basket? I have 6 weeks before I will be needing my trailer so I need to start soon if I am to get a sidegate.
  8. MGB Guy

MGB Guy LawnSite Member

Hey Turf, my first trailer, I bought for $500. It was only a little 5x10 and I needed a side gate, so I did that myself. I stripped all the paint off the trailer and made the gates each a foot longer also. I also put new boards on it. After doing all this work all winter 2 years ago, I had the trailer sold for more in 3 months. I would say that if the trailer is still in good shape and works for you already, add the extra gate. I now have a 16x6 1/2 and it has breaks EZ gates, trimmer racks, a locking tool box, and all sorts of storage. If you add the gate and decide you want to sell it eventually, I'm sure there will be someone looking to start in the business.
  9. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Buy a welder...get some scrap metal and learn.
    Its easy just need to dig into it.
  10. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member