Question on my new EPS

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by chariot, Jun 7, 2002.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I just got this mower yesterday evening. All was well till I kept hearing something today that sounded like the blade hitting a twig. I kept stopping and looking, only to find nothing. When I got home this evening I looked more in depth and found that it is the deck belt. It appears that the belt is hitting itself where the two pulleys are near one another just under the foot platform. I can see where the belt material is on the top of the deck just under these pulleys, looks like black powder. This does not make sense to me because there is a huge spring to keep the tension on this belt. Is the spring weak? Is the belt stretched? Perhaps this is just something to do with it being new. I hope this can be understood, it is hard for me to describe what I am seeing.

Otherwise I love this machine. There is no comparison of this to my Great Dane that it has taken the place of. Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Chariot,

I hate to say this but I'd have my dealer look at it if I were you. It's hard to say what's going on with out being there.

A couple of possibilities however. Is the blade actually rubbing against itself? They appear to be fairly close under normal conditions but I've never seen them touch. The Black powder is rubber from the belt but that's not highly unusual. When a belt, pulley etc are all new they all need to wear in or seat. This means that portions of both are rubbed, sanded or polished off the surface allowing everything to fit uniformly in place and perform at optimum levels. The black powder is the by-product of this process. This is one possibility.

A second possibility is that there is a problem with the belt construction or the wrong belt was installed. It's possible that our supplier threw the wrong belt in the wrong box our staff did the same. It's possible that you've got a bad belt or something that is allowing the idler to push the belt against itself. Any of these are possible but a couple of them are fairly unlikely.

There are any number of mechanical causes such as a pulley or loose backing on the belt.

My most probable guess is this. The black powder is normal and there is nothing wrong with it being there. Just blow it out every now and then. The sound your hearing like a blade hitting a twig is a different issue. Pull the belt shields off and inspect the backside of the belt. It sounds to me like you've got a piece of loose material on the back side of the belt that is making contact with the deck gussetting the top sheet or something else. What can happen is you can get a bad belt or a belt that just wasn't trimmed properly and some material is dangling off the backside of the belt. With the belt spinning as fast as it is even a piece of string could make an audible sound. If the material is off the side indicating the belt wasn't trimmed properly simply trim it and your done. If the material is loose form the working part of the backside of the belt take it to your dealer for inspection. If it's defective he'll be able to tell just by looking at it and he'll do the right thing. If he can't tell then he can call us and we'll diagnose it and do the right thing.

With out seeing the mower it's tough to make a positive call but I'd get it looked at. After all it's new, it's your hard-earned money and if it's not right we want it fixed as much as you do.

Let me know what shakes out.

Thanks

Terry

3. chariot

Maybe I am paranoid. How about this. I was thinking... perhaps when I see the belt "flopping" I think that it is hitting itself at the other pulley because it is near it and the sound I am hearing may just be the sound of the belt smacking the pulley since it may not be seated yet. I have about 7.5 hours on it now. I am getting ready to go clean it off and try it now and see what happens. Thanks

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If what you're hearing is sort of a loud "clack" noise when the blades engage, then it might be you're your mule belt pulley is a bit loose. This could have happened from break-in, as the belts wear more rapidly initially. I believe it says in the manual that this should be rechecked and corrected in so many hours of initial use. The manual ALSO illustrates how to check and adjust this pulley at the very back of the machine, located underneath. As Terry, (I believe it was) just pointed out to me about two weeks ago, these are more prone to hit and make noise when the blades are engaged at real low rpm's. Now that I am engaging at a little higher r's than what I was before, it doesn't make that "clack" as often. By the way, what that clack was on mine, as I had explained on an earlier thread, was the large idler pulley under the back of the machine was springing and hitting against the chassis when the clutch kicked in.

5. chariot

I found a problem. My center and left blade pulley are damaged. The top edges are bent down and this is not allowing the belt to ride in the groove. When the belt gets to these spots it must be making the belt basically jump around and not spin uniform. I talked to the dealer and they are ordering two pulleys and they have the belt in stock just in case there is any damage done to it.

Hey eXmark do you think there would be a problem with getting them to replace the belt since the mower only has around 7 hours on it. I do not want to think it is fine only to have trouble with it just down the road because it has not been spinning properly. I requested that they put a new one on and the guy said they may have to call eXmark and see what they think. Hope to be back to normal by the weekend. I guess I may be even more impressed with this machine when I get it working properly. Thanks

6. eXmark

Chariot,

Thanks! E-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com with your dealer information. I'll need to talk to him about the belt and the pulley. We may want to get the pulley back depending upon what may have caused the damage. If it's something our assembly staff or our vender can learn from we'd be smart to take advantage of the opportunity.

Thanks

Terry

7. chariot

Thanks Terry. The information has been sent to you. I even went ahead and sent a couple of pictures.

8. eXmark

Chariot,

Thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words. I also dropped you a note regarding the bent pulley's. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks

Terry

9. chariot

Dealer called today, pulleys are already in. They do not have time until Friday to put them on though. Thanks for everything Terry.

10. chariot

Took it in for the repairs this morning, was coming back home about 35 minutes later. It is fixed. I can tell a differnce just with turning the blades on, I am getting ready to go cutting. Hope you guys at eXmark can find out what happened to those pulleys. I'm now better than new. Thanks, Tim