Question on overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Aug 16, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

A customer of mine aerated his yard today. He then decided he was short on time and would like me to "overseed" for him. His lawn is about 18,000sqft., Kentucky Blue Grass. How would I go about this process. I have done this before with small areas of grass, simply by cutting the lawn short then simply getting my broadcast spreader and apply the seed. Is this a good way to attack this project or should I rent an overseeder? Should I cut it short even after aerating?

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I would cut it short, then use the overseeder to force the seed down. Make sure you water really good after seeding. You can and should use some fertilizer middle of next month to allow good growth before your cold weather makes the growth go dormant. Do the same in the spring and you'll have a wonderful looking lawn, and a good one to cut and stripe too!

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Not sure about Maine, but here I would not do it. With the drought and heat it would be a waste of time. If he has already aerated good for him, I would tell him it would be due next month and go from there. Any job done now is in for failure and who will be to blame...you. Things may be different that far north, I'm not sure, that's what I would do here.

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer my opinion, but I am to blame? Whatever! You take all the info you get and using your best judgment from that info you make a decision. You can't blame someone else like that. Quit passing the responsiblilty around to someone else.

5. KirbysLawn

Crazygator, what are you talking about? I was replying to the first post, not yours. Heck, yours was not even there when I started typing.

When I say "and who will be to blame...you." I am talking about when a seeding today is done, and it fails and the homeowner is pissed who will they blame? Surely not themselves, they will blame you or me, the hired worker.

Nothing was directed toward you and I was not "passing the responsiblilty around to someone else", please re-read my first post.

Ray

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. If the temps are to warm you are in for failure. People are always looking for a reason to blame others for their eagerness. Proceed with caution. If he insist, do it, but explain the you position good.

7. DMK 395 please forgive the ignorance of our southern LCOs for they are just trying to be helpful.

You need to get that KBG in the ground ASAP. Since KBG can take up to a month to germinate in you wait any longer the seedlings will not have enough time to build up carbs for winter.

From Aug 15 until labor day it the BEST time to overseed in norther climates. The sun angle is not as severe and normally the weather starts a rainy pattern.

8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

thanks for the posts

9. KirbysLawn

This coming from a guy that thinks a soil pH of 5.5 is "way to high" and can't tell the difference between simple crabgrass and Poa Annua! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=18732

I stated in my post it may be different that far north, how about giving your answers without insulting others. In the above thread you were also degrading and insulting until you were proven wrong again. At least you can't go back and delete you post like you did in the soil test thread!

Sometimes people think so highly of themselves they have their nose so high in the air, they can't see all the sh** they are stepping in.

DMK I would get a second opinion from someone that lives closer to your area.

10. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with kirby, but we are in the same area about 70 miles from each other. i always use a core areatation when im overseeding simply because i havent had any luck useing a seeder plus we apply a "starter" fert. at the time of seed installation...