Question on Patio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnboy112, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

My parents are having a patio done at our house in NJ. Theres a 5' x 30' walkway to the front of the house and a 23' x 30' Patio in the front. We have an existing patio there now. We have 1 estimate already, and we think is a little high. The patio and walkway are to be done with paver's. They are charging 1400$ to take out the old patio and walkway, and 6800$ to do the patio and walkway. I need to know if the price is high low or what. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

2. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

You really think that price is high? The patio alone is 690 square feet. I have a simple little formula that generally works to ballpark a patio job. 200 square is in the $5k area, 300 square is in the $10k area, 400 square is in the $15k area, 500 square is in the $20k area, 600 square is in the $25k area. I wouldn't think you could get that job done for much less than $28k. I am saying that not knowing the job particulars, though.

You are adding an addition to the home. If a carpenter quoted $6800 for a 690 square foot addition to your home what would you say? I would think that he was off his rocker and quality would most certainly suffer. Those folks that quoted $6800 for this gig are giving you a price of $8.09 a square foot. That is a joke. If you think that is high, man, I don't know what you want a brother to do it for. They aren't leaving much room for profit.

This ain't UNICEF.

3. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

If that job has easy access and you go with a non-tumbled paver we would do it for around $12,500. Where in NJ are you lawnboy? We're usually a bit higher than most around here but that price is ridiculous.

If I could get 28k for a job like that my fatboy would have alot more miles on it.

4. jbintexas

jbintexas LawnSite Member

From everybody I've talked to in the Houston and Dallas areas, normal paver patios and walks of that size seem to average around 8-9 bucks per sq. ft.
    Nowhere near what you guys seem to getting!

5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

40$ a Square foot are you NUTS? :dizzy:

6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

our patio was $7,200 total, about the same dimensions. I don't have the exact measurements handy.

7. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

Thye guys around Indpls who specialize in pavers were getting $12.50/ sq. ft. 2 yrs ago.

I'm at $15 - $17 this year. I wouldn't even start without $6400 down payment. And I'd get at least 12,600 complete.

So no....that is a very good price. Not a bit high.