Question on Patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lawnboy112, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

Posted before, but I think in the wrong place.

My parents are having a patio done at our house in NJ. Theres a 5' x 30' walkway to the front of the house and a 23' x 30' Patio in the front. We have an existing patio there now. We have 1 estimate already, and we think is a little high. The patio and walkway are to be done with paver's. They are charging 1400$ to take out the old patio and walkway, and 6800$ to do the patio and walkway. I need to know if the price is high low or what. Any input is appreciated. Also the total for the job was 8200$.

Thanks

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Sounds right for a legit company that stands behind their work 100%.

3. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

The company that is doing it is the biggest in our town. We see them doing other jobs, and they all seem to turn out great. The only problem is the price. They mow our neighbors lawn, and she had them put a patio in, and do her front steps. We aren't having our steps done and, she had a patio nearly twice the size done , and the only charged he she says a little over 12,000$ She even had them do the landsacape, which we are not. I think that they are trying to cheat us out of more than its worth. We are looking into to doing it ourselves if its going to cost that much. Any input on that?

Thanks

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Based off of our square foot average (I use this to W.A.G. in numbers prior to a formal bid) they are working for less than we could do the job for. Typically, for demo, excavation, spoil haul out, base, sand screed, pavers and a wet set boarder (we wet set in concrete, plastic eding is a no no here even though I prefer it) our price woulod be $11,600.00. But then, I'm betting the company you are using does not have to pay near the work comp rates we do either.

5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnboy, you need to get other apple to apple estimates from contractors in your area. Using the W.A.G. method, I would be much higher. However, I am in a different area and using my numbers. Don't go off of what the neighbors paid. Get other estimates from reputable companies.

6. Gman2310

Gman2310 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

our price for patios is about $10/sqft depending on access and all the other things that go along with it. So its really not that expensive. Not everyone can work for free.

7. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

If that job has easy access and you go with a non-tumbled paver we would do it for around $12,500. Where in NJ are you lawnboy? We're usually a bit higher than most around here but that price is ridiculous.

If I could get 28k for a job like that my fatboy would have alot more miles on it.

8. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Where does it say $28,000. That guy quoted a price of $8200.00 for everything.

9. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

Our price would be approx $10,500 but that is what works for us. I agree with the others, get other estimates to make an informed decision. Although it may be tempting to install it yourself, there are benefits to hiring a contractor that performs this service daily. Mainly, the details of the finished product show a quality install.

UNISCAPER and mbella- please excuse my ignorance, but what is the WAG method?

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

W.A.G. method of estimating.

Wild Ass Guess, WAG