Question on price......what would you guys charge for this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Sep 22, 2000.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Please dont flame me I know its very difficult to give me an aproximation of this so I'm just asking generally. I had to give an estimate on a lawn that was 9,060.00 SF. There was a garden around the front, and both sides of house, all around back deck. The back lawn wasnt cut for a couple weeks and the bottom of fence untrimmed. Back yard was fenced. He cant get a commercial guy to cut his back cause of fence. This is in a neighborhood of houses that are pretty nice about 250k-300k. What is an idea of a good price? Thanks, this is first time so very difficult.

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

First explain to him that you dont want to lose money in the deal or overcharge him. First cut, by the hr. Then 30-35 if done weekly since theres a fence. Add for rolling hills and beds etc. Hope you get it.

3. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

well depending on how bad it looks ...do you own a 36" wb to get in the back yard if so the cut shouldn't take long, how bad is the edgeing?since its out of shape and the owner seems to think that he donsen't want to handle it.....with the right equiptment(remeber i have not seen it !!!) you should be able to clean it up a about ....oh say 2.5 hrs with the right equiptment working alone start up to make it right....i would try to get around $180 or so remeber its hard to be exact without seeing it thats if your not doing the garden.are you going to be doing the yard on a regualr basic?if not charge a little more.
    good luck hope this helps

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 09-23-2000 at 01:58 AM]

4. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, I have a 32" wb that i will be doing the back with and I beleive he wants this on a weekly basis. Also this place is about 30 minutes from my house, and it will be for now the only customer up there. So i also have to factor in travel and all that good stuff just to get there for one job. Im hoping that if we get it that I can pick up more accounts as I have noticed quite a few ppl get a cutter to do there turf. Not a bad yard, or a bad job I would like to get it. Also he has a company now that does it but his 52" wont get in the gate and h wont cut the back. He has called a couple ppl and they wont do it either because of gate. THanks again for the help guys.

5. Ocutter

Tough call, if youre sure you can get others in the area then you can temporarily take a hit. Otherwise my original bid would be raised to 60 just because of travel time.

6. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

Are some of you guys crazy?
    Do you really think you are going to get a 1/4 acre lot for $60 bucks? Too bad for you it is 1/2 hour away, that does not bother the homeowner, either you will do it or not.
    We would not do the account because of the drive, but, if you do not have anything else to do on a saturday or whatever, than it is an open market for you.
    We would takle it for probably 35 + 5 for the fence + 5 for the fact that you have to use the small 32. Charge him 2 times (90 for the first cut to get it under control. Also if it is in a good target area ask him to please refer your services to any neighbors WHEN he realizes you are a quality fair contractor.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I think (hope) bushmaster was joking.

Once the heavy growth is knocked down should be in and out in 1/2 hour total, even if you need to bring a 21 inside the back area.

[Edited by thelawnguy on 09-23-2000 at 02:43 AM]

8. BUSHMASTER

i was talking about a clean up $180.2.5hrs clean up
    weather its 1hour or 2.5 charge $180 for fisrt cut .id go $65 per service if the market could bare .no less than $45 on any new service. HARD TO ESTIMATE WHENI HAVEN"T SEEN IT. his eyes don't see things they way i do 2.5 / $180. first cut $72. phr. regarles of time i always charge extra for a fisrt cut ...it hasn't been cutt i a couple of weeks. .. he's not out anything...working alone decent money fair money extra trimming .extra effort.its worth it just cuse we have fast equiptment dosen't mean we make less .... maybe I am not charging enough...never do a job cheaper in hope to gain more bizz...maybe i am wrong???after all were out to make$$$ maybe i am too lonw

9. BUSHMASTER

we have an area of town that is upper middle class and the cheapest job i know of in this area is $55.avg yard under 10,000sqft the area just above that the minum there 1 acre+ upsacle lot acre $65+ glad in down here .........i havea resis' 5000 sqft i charge $35 per week "old account" the neibor has a aonther co diong their 8000sqt grass its $65 per service to weekly mow/edge/trim/blow leave.plus annuals/ straw/chemical/bushes etc etc all extra... they do millions every year....."i want to be like mike"

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 09-23-2000 at 03:40 AM]

10. Ocutter

Doug- aparently Im not crazy. Others here seem to think the same. Time is money. You could do it for less too if you lived closer or like taking hits on your lawns. Later on If I did get other lawns in that area I would drop his price a little, but for now let the customer pay for it.