question on pricing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grand93am2003, Aug 18, 2006.

1. grand93am2003

grand93am2003 LawnSite Member

A guy called me the other day and asked for 1 1/2 acres of lawn cut, some edging and trimming done and some brush removed. He lives roughly 40 miles away. I told him 150-175 dollars to do it. Was that a good number to sAy?

2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

A good number would be sorry sir you are not in my area but you could try so and so they service your area.

3. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

You will spend $50 of your profit in gas hauling your equipment there and back. DOnt bother.

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

NEVER GIVE AN ESTIMATE OVER THE PHONE. If you were to commit yourself to that price. What are you going to do when you get there and the grass is 3foot tall 100 trees to trim around and a mile of concrete to edge. Plus a dump truck worth of brush to haul?
    Like Rusty said at leat $50 in fuel alone.Plus the dumping fee's.

Id also charge a trip charge $20 for being out of my area.

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

If it were me, considering the distance, I would have told the guy that it is a minimum charge of $XX for the lawn cut, and $XX for the brush removal...make up a $$ number, whatever makes sense based on the phone conversation. If he is still interested, I would say that you can schedule the job for Wednesday (or whatever) but you will meet him there/then or call him with a firm price when you get to the job. Make it clear that if he opts not to hire you, he will be billed $XX for the trip out and estimate, maybe the same as the minimum lawn fee.

The idea is to lock him in if you are going to make the long trip. This works for me when I travel for weird stiff like pruning/aerating/dethatching, and is fair.

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

yup. never bid a lawn sight unseen, nothing else to say. charge him 20 just to go look at it.

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

As stated never give an estimate over the phone,:nono: for one there are many things to consider on large properties. 1. how much edging will be done,the sidewalk and driveway could be very very long. 2. Is the 1 1/2 acre completely surrounded by fence. 3. Are there any steep hill's you may have to use nothing but trimmers on or small walk-behind's. Alway's look at the property and consider all the variable's. :usflag:

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

80 miles roundtrip, somewhere near $20 in gas just for that trip...I'm assuming there's no other job on the way.

Really this is one of those situations where it's too far to run out to do a free estimate, and you don't want to price it unseen to drive 40 miles to realize you priced it all wrong. I would pass on this job unless you're really just getting started.

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

NO NO NO! Thats too far away!!! JUST SAY NO!

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

And...how much Brush??? Man you cant give that quote over the phone without seeing it. Just take it as a lesson learned...but thats a real good way to screw yourself, and we don't wanna see that.