1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question on Retaining Wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by harddog00, Apr 3, 2008.

1. harddog00

harddog00 LawnSite Member

What is the best way to replace an existing wall. The current wall now is about 4-5 ft. high and is R.R. ties. How do i remove them and replace with block without the wall giving in?
  2. Reconwalls

Reconwalls LawnSite Member

would need to see pics but you may be able to use a certain type of wall systems and not take the timbers out. You may only have to tear out the top 2-4 courses.
  3. moejoescaper

moejoescaper LawnSite Member

If the ties have been there a long time, the ground shouldn't move much. I do a lot of these. Just rip the ties out and start your wall. I have a Dingo, so I pop them out and scrape some of the soil away to prevent any further collapsing in the area that I am working. Just get the wall up as quickly as possible before it rains. If the customer is rich, tell them that you will need to remove all the soil and use the geogrid method. Other wise just get the wall started and backfill with chat or AB3. Heck, even soil will work. I have built a lot of railroad tie tear outs. I tore out some ties and built a four footer 15 years ago without geogrid and it is still standing strong. Make sure the stone is the size of Pavestone Diamond Anchor, and not those Windsor sized stones, and get your base deep and level, backfill every two scores and compact.

ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 03 15.41.gif

Oct07 022.jpg
  4. moejoescaper

I guess I should have done a B-4 pic too. It is not a railroad tie tear out, but the method is the same.

Oct07 004.jpg
  5. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, if they are poor then the wall should be built to fail.
  6. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

You really shouldn't leave wood behind a wall, it's just gonna rot out over time and undermine your drainage and backfill.
  7. moejoescaper

Hey Captain, I meant that in a joking fashion. If you backfill and compact properly, these kind of walls won't fail. Some people insist on the geogrid because some designer recommended it. I have had customers pay for these designers, some who have never touched a shovel, to use geogrid on a 30 inch windsor style wall.:laugh:

What I meant is that some customers have a budget and they would like for you to stay within the parameters. I know when a wall needs geogrid, as we all do. Compact until your arms burn:weightlifter:
  8. moejoescaper

I agree too. Don't leave ties or timbers behind your install.:hammerhead: Besides, if the timbers or ties were installed correctly, the tear out should leave a good base for the new wall without too much digging.
  9. harddog00

harddog00 LawnSite Member

I was hoping that i could just remove the r.r. ties and build the wall. Thanks guys, i will put pics on here tommorrow so you see what im dealing with. Oh, its my house by the way so i don't have to worry bout' customer.
  10. poiuy qwerty

poiuy qwerty LawnSite Member

We have a hard time getting rid of the RR ties. Where do you dump yours?