1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question on Scag Grass Catcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steve45, Jan 8, 2006.

1. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 48" Tiger Cub with the 3-bag Grass Catcher. While cleaning up leave with it, the dust is unbearable. It seems to blow dust out in front of the deck. I had the height set at 3.5", and got less dust with 2.5", but it was still a mess. The dust was so thick that after I stopped, you could not see the wooden fence about 75' away! (We are in a severe draught, since August, 2" of snow is the ONLY precipitation we've had).

They make a rubber skirt for JetSkis that reduces water spray and splash. I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this for a mower, or if anyone has any thoughts about why it won't work if I make my own. I'm thinking of a 1/8" rubber strip that would hang down an inch or two all around the deck. I'd probably just glue it on initially to see if it helps.

2. TomB

TomB LawnSite Member

Depending on how old your Cub is there is an adjustable baffel in the front of the deck. There are five bolts you will need to remove and it will drop down another inch or so. This should stop some of the blowout.
  3. steve45

It's a 2000 model, Advantage deck. I'll look at the baffles. There are a lot of differences between mine and the current models. Thanks!
  4. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Steve-I had the same problem with our Turf Tiger. I was setting it up for this years fall clean up and decided to try putting the Impeller housing(the lip of the housing) on the top of the deck versus against the deck. What this did was give me tight seal at the discharge area. Come to find out it eliminated my blowout problems and reduced the dust bowl by appoximately 60%. Now that's what I call Incompetent competence:p
    good luck
  5. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

Your asking guys from up north who know nothing about a little midland odessa dust when your 21" behind on rain last year alone. I am from snyder originally and would say you are going to half to deal with it. Good luck. Glad to see another from the cult of West Texas boys on here. Holler if you need any help.
  6. steve45

Guess I don't understand how you would do this. Did you have to re-drill the mounting holes for the impeller housing?

I haven't had a chance to look at the mower deck, yet, but I did look at the manual for the grass catcher. It makes no mention of baffles at all. I know there are different baffles for mulching, etc. Perhaps my deck is too old to have moveable baffles.

Hey, JG, I'm tempted to post a photo of my 'lawn' after seeing some photos in the Homeowner's forum. Half of my back yard is bare dirt. Sprinklers? Yea, we got 'em, but you have to have some rain once in a while. We're on a water well and really don't want to risk running it dry.
  7. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

Man, I know what you mean. I just rolled in from doing a funeral in Snyder today and it was dty there just like up here. Need some rain.
  8. steve45

Problem almost solved! I switched back to the original blades, instead of the high lift blades. Cut way down on the dust blowing out the front. Could not find any baffles (or any place to mount them) on my 2000 model deck.

The bearings went out on my blower at about 20 hours of use (not lubricated fromthe factory). I'm wondering if it was really dragging or something that kept the blower from working properly. It was filling the grass catcher bags well until the last two times I used it.

Anyway, I was able to mow without a dust mask yesterday!