question on something i saw the other day?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Mar 23, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

there was a lawncare co. with a four wheeler with a roller on the back rolling it over the grass just wondering what they were doing?

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

It's called lawn rolling very profitable but short season for it.During the winter the lawns will pucker up and stay lumpy so when you call the lawn you start scalping it.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Besides really compacting the soil? They were rolong the turf - smoothing it out. many people do this in the spring while the ground is really soft. It smooths out alot of lumps, rough spots, and mole runs if there are any. The downfall to it, as I said before, is that iy also can contribute to soil compaction, which is non-beneficial to the turf. Sometimes, the smoothing of the rough spots outweighs the compaction issues, sometimes it doesn't. Many people roll the turf out as part of their program, but they also core-aerate to counter the compaction issues. I roll my own lawn, but don't do any others. I haven't done mine in awhile, but may do it this year to mash down all the mole runs.

4. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

thanks i figured it was something like that. hey while were on the subject what would you charge for something like this i would probably charge the same as to mow it also do you use a four wheeler to roll yours

5. grandview (2006)

Most guys use 1 ton rollers around here.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, it goes for about double the mowing cost, fore the guys that do it. I use a JD 212 tractor to pull it.

7. NewkirkPropertyManagement

NewkirkPropertyManagement LawnSite Member

See, around here the biggest I'm able to find is 900#. Anybody know where to look or who to go through to get a 1 ton?

8. grandview (2006)

It depends on how many lawns your going to do, but try united rentals if you have one.

9. cuttinjoe

cuttinjoe LawnSite Member

Make your own, heres ours
    [​IMG]

Its 4ft wide about 2 feet high and full of cement. Its gotta be a ton. It works excellent for flattening out grass after the winter heave. If we didn't roll our lawns up here we'd have to use walk behinds and cut at 5 inches

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Ruining the soil structure, contributing to a hardpan situation, and squeezing the juice out of the worms.