question on spray bid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nomoreweeds, Oct 20, 2006.

1. nomoreweeds

nomoreweeds LawnSite Member

I have a weed control business in the Minneapolis area. Most of my clientele is in a 35 mile radius. I am currently bidding on a job that involves 200 fast food stores scattered throughout Minnesota in a 150 mile radius. Basically the job requires roundup in the rock beds, normally the job would be $130.00 for one store. Any ideas on 200 stores with some of the stores being as far out as 175 miles? Thanks

2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

175 miles to spray Glyposate? $130.00 a store?? Is this some kind of a test??? If any are 175 miles east of you, give me a call, I will spray them for you. :)

3. nomoreweeds

nomoreweeds LawnSite Member

Maybe you misunderstood. I have to bid on the whole job, all 200 stores. I am saying if one of the stores was on my regular route, I would charge $130. Given that I would normally bid $130 for a store within my route, how do I bid on 200 stores with over 100 mile radius of my normal route?

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say bid as though they are on your route and start looking for locals to sub out to.

5. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

What stumper said. Otherwise you will lose your but!

6. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

PR's wife half here....
    It's easy to negate the issues, or obstacles, as some have done.
    Sounds like those are not answers that you are looking for.
    Perhaps one way to go would be to (and this is assuming that you are doing all the apps...) plot out all locations, find a radius of that circle, choose a central point to all, and add a trip charge based on mileage and time. I would base this on a "one-way" trip charge to the site from the center of the radius. Add this charge to your fert/spray fee. Add all jobs up together (but keep your own separate totals for your own records and your sanity) and bid the entire job.
    Also, I would get a contract on the entire amount of stores - or not do it at all! Do not bend on this, or for sure you may loose if they cancel a portion or cancel half way through. Been there - done that!
    Would an overnight stay (once you are loaded for two full days of apps) be feasible? Add the hotel, into 1/4 of the price. Do the circumference in 4 days. Come back after 2 days and reload, etc.
    Just some math ideas and I don't profess to know everything. I just like to see hearty business people with a will to try. Hat's off to you and best of luck with your decisions! Keep MN green!
    Just Jan :waving:

7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I wpuld consider subbing some out. but if your like me, you will not do it because its too hard to control quality over distance,I would still want to know the job was done right,and not via the"no news is good news" system.
    Rather, if you need this job or would like it at least temp for cash flow. I would consider the route density in gross sales possible per day with travel included. If you could for example drive to the furthest location in 3 hours and work your way back through the day plotting your stops carfully, and make a good gross for the day, whats the big deal? Spraying rocks is super easy and generally very good money. Plan on some long days for your furthest locations and the $ gets better the closer your route is to home.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How much do you take in per 40 hour week? Suppose it is $75 per hour (Ignoring expenses, for now). Drive the route, figure the time at each location. Make sure you are still averaging $75 per hour ($3000 per week.). At least use Mapquest to figure the driving time involved. Your fuel cost may be higher--allow for that--and if the price of gas increases allow for that. You may need to do a resprays or complaint calls--allow for that.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You said the job pays about $130 per store. Is that per year--or per application 4 times per year? That is $26,000 per once around. You need to do it in 8 weeks.
    OR...is it more like 32.50 per treatment? $6500 per round--works OK if you can do it in 2.2 weeks.
    HOWEVER...
    YOU WOULD THEN HAVE A DANGEROUS DEPENDENCY ON A BIG CUSTOMER! Smart buyers for big companies can take advantage of you. What happens if payment is slow? What happens if he thinks like Walmart and decides he should pay only half as much? Can you walk away?

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent points on both your post.
    Myself I'm kinda picky about my Quality and being able to ride by a few inbetween just to be sure all is well, I would probably bid the full boat, find a good sub to help lighten the load so I could maintain my diversity( don't like all my eggs in one basket) then I would do ride bys to check the quality on the sub work. Or with that size deal I would even consider finding a good applicator and add the required equipment to split the route and have one employee.