Question on spraying

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PGA, Nov 15, 2005.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Say for example that a customer calls and wants an app of Primo Maxx applyed to their lawn. You only have one that calls so you dont need a big batch of it. (about a 8,000 SQ FT lawn) Do you just spray it from a backpack sprayer or do you use your big sprayer and then clean it out?

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I would always use the skid sprayer.

I couldn't think of a reason why you would need to clean the tank after spraying Primo.

3. PGA

Not neccesarily primo then. That was just an example. You can insert any chemical in there.

Something you would only have to use once in a while.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

as a rule of thumb you should only mix enough product for a day's use, you realy shouldn't let chemicals set in the tank for periods of time as they start to loose effectivness, and some lables will state just that (i find that insecticides are the big ones, along with fungicides). i have left weed control for 2+ weeks before mixed and it was ok, but i do not like the idea of chemicals setting around. besides if you are useing the tank for all different kinds of chemicals (like i do) the last thing you need is to let a few days go by and forget what you did last.

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure I see a problem here. Only mix up what you need. If your machine is well calebrated and you know your coverages, this should'nt be a problem. The only time its a problem that I know of is when you are switching from "lawn" chemicals to "tree and ornamental" chemicals and you need a very clean tank to do this. When this happens I either use a back pack for small stuff, pass on the job, or make sure its worth the effort. By the way I love the tank cleaner Lesco sells.

6. GrazerZ

oh, and as far as if I were to spray lawn cemicals, I make sure I spray out the tank with one before I mix another. I only worry if there is a issue with sludge in my tank. I honestly only use my skid sprayer for maybe three different chemicals, so not a big issue here.

7. PGA

I think my question is being missed here. Maybe I didnt explain it well enough.

If you have a one-time job to do with a product you dont normally use would you use a BP sprayer or take the time to mix it in your tank and then have to clean it out afterwards?

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

use a backpack

9. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I'm starting to realize that my back packs are as important as my ride on and tank sprayer.

10. GrazerZ

I understand what you are asking. You should have a clean tank in your hydrolic sprayer at the end of the day right? Then you can, if you like mix only what you will need of the "new" chemical. As mentioned I would'nt clean a sprayer out special to spray primo maxx if the sprayer is set up for lawn chemicals. Really, its your choice.